Ignoring his pain, you proceeded to slash and stab at your enemies.

Kill after kill, you were growing to tired to carry on and you could see it was the same for Hvitserk.

As men charged as Hvitserk, you moved deeper into the battlefield, slaughtering Christians as you walked by them.

Ivar could see Hvitserk needed help but as he scanned the war, he could not see you. So, he marched into the battle, his guards behind him as they all walked past the fighting men, even if a bone broke on the way.

-

You had just finished slaughtering another man when you saw him. He stood with Hvitserk, the two brothers speaking with tears in their eyes.

You were confused when Hvitserk was pushed away by your husband but Hvitserk didn't leave. He rested on the ground and watched his brother.

Ivar turned and let out a loud and powerful war cry. You stood in the distance, watching in confusion. What was he doing?

"I AM IVAR THE BONELESS! YOU KNOW WHO I AM! YOU KNOW YOU CAN'T KILL ME! NO MATTER HOW HARD YOU TRY! BECAUSE I WILL LIVE FOREVER!"

Your husband let out two more war cries and laughed.
He killed a man that tried attacking him before he continued.

"ARE WE AFRAID OF DEATH?! NO!! WE DO NOT INTEND TO DIE IN OUR BEDS AS OLD MEN, BUT SUP WITH OUR LOVED ONES IN VALHALLA!"

When Ivar turned, he saw a young soldier brandishing a knife. You expected your husband to kill him but instead, after Ivar whispered something to the soldier, Ivar was stabbed.

Stab...
Stab...
Stab...
Stab...

You froze when you saw Ivar's blood. The blood leaking from his mouth as he stood there while the warrior ran away.

"That's impossible." You whispered. "Gods cannot... they can't die."

When Ivar turned, he finally found his love, staring at him in pure fear. Fear of his death. And he smiled at her. Smiled at the memories of her. Smiled because he knew this was the last time he would see her for a very long time.

The sounds of the battle had faded now and it was only you and Ivar in the world. The light was slowly dimming from his eyes. "Little dove..." he smiled

You let out a horrified gasp as tears fell when you saw his bones break and him fall to the ground. Without any hesitation, you ran as fast as you could to reach Ivar.

You slid across the dirty mud, gathering your broken husband into your arms.

"Not today." He whispers

You sobbed as you held him close, whispering of how he was going to be fine. Nothing would happen to him.

Ivar himself began to cry as he groaned in pain. "I'm afraid." He sobbed. "I am afraid."

"I won't tell a soul." You sob quietly. "No one will ever forget you, my love. Not one person. For who could forget Ivar the Boneless?"

Ivar smiles and nods as he grabs your hand with a tight grip. When the light is his eyes goes out and his grip loosens as he stared into your soul, you realized that your love had left you. He was dead and gone as was your heart and soul.

The fighting had stopped, the entire world having gone silent. You heard Hvitserk crying over your quiet sniffles as you held Ivar's dead body in your arms

When you heard Alfred kneel behind you, only then did you speak.

"Just leave me and my husband alone for a moment longer." You whispered