The Best Laid Plans

Start from the beginning

Ivar listened in with a chuckle, happy that Igor was warming up to you.

Your smiles faded when you saw the barricades and many warriors ready on the shore with weapons. So they knew you were coming.

With your face covered in red paint and red hand prints all over your armour, it was easy to recognize you.

-

"This is where we will attack." Ivar said, tapping the map. "Here is the mouth of the river leading into king Harald's Capitol. There is no doubt that Bjorn will block it. As well as planning some other surprises."

"The famous Bjorn Ironside." Oleg said. "Are you certain he'll be there?"

At this, you and Ivar looked to each other, laughing at the question

"Of course he will be there!" You exclaimed through laughter.

"We- We can assure you beyond any doubt, that Bjorn will be there." Ivar laughed before he soon went serious again. "We should attack the beach."

"Won't they expect that?" Oleg's guard asks.

"Of course they will. Yes." You answer. "But they will not expect us to know that the beach shelves steeply and quickly, and that our ships will capsize if they get to close. Which is why we will bring these smaller barges with us, transfer our warriors into them and simply... storm the beach." You smiled

-

The boats started the slow down causing you to grin as you faced Ivar. "It's time."

"Yes, it is, my love." Ivar chuckled.

The smaller barges were brought to the sides of the boats and warriors started getting on them.

"I love you." Ivar said.

"I love you to, Ivar." You say, placing a kiss on his lips. He smiled and pulled you closer until you heard Hvitserk.

"Kiss after the war, lovebirds! We have things to do!" Hvitserk laughed

Both you and Ivar laughed as you two pulled away before walking to the side of the boat. You helped Ivar get on his boat and frowned. 

"We'll meet again, Astrid. In this life or the next." Ivar promises

You nod, watching as he, Oleg, Igor and Hvitserk sail away. Ivar and you stared at each other with sad eyes, praying that you wouldn't have to leave each other for to long again.

-

As soon as the ramp was down, you and the Rus were attacking. As arrows fell from the sky, you ran up the beach, horses and a few men running past you 

"SHIELDS!" You order, the men raising their shields and blocking the arrows from hitting them.

The war cries were loud when the shield walls collided.

You reached over, stabbing the men from above before ducking back behind the wall.

As a woman tried to grab you, you pulled her onto your side of the barricades, choking her to death.

The fight was brutal, many using blunt force or simply using their swords to slaughter one another.

Horses were used to rip away the spiked barricades, giving you and the Rus a chance to run in and continue to attack the enemy.

Men were trampled as your people flooded onto the beach causing you to laugh. You saw a horse without an owner and jumped on, shouting orders as you watched the battle.