31 | Harry's Safety Card

Začať od začiatku

"Right, of course," began Remus in a soothing voice, provoking Sirius to snort.

"Harry was just bummed that you're disappointed in him... his words, not mine," he added quickly when Sirius looked at him like he had grown an extra nose. "And I know you wouldn't want him thinking that."

"That kid needs to make better use of his brain cells." Sirius scoffed, feeling more frustrated than outraged. "I never said he disappointed me."

"Yet, somehow he felt it," said Remus calmly, sipping his tea while keeping a close eye on Sirius.

"He's damn wrong then!" Sirius exclaimed hotly, reaching for the mirror in his pocket, to find it empty. "Well, would you look at that!" He used his sing-song voice, smirking heavily.

Sirius cursed his luck when it hit him: he had personal belongings of value still residing in his own prison, most importantly the said mirror tucked safely in his bedroom drawer.

"I have to go back to Headquarters-- the mirror, I need it," said Sirius in a trance, his expression fixed in determination. 

"Not now, you won't," replied Remus, not really taken off-guard by the sudden shift of topic.

"But what if Harry mirror-calls me, and I'm just not there to answer?" Sirius implored, his worry taking charge.

He felt insecure of such a dreadful possibility happening again. Last time, it had cost Sirius more than he could bear, and he wasn't looking forward to explore its repercussions any further.

Remus tactfully unfolded the Marauder's map to prove to Sirius that Harry was surely tucked in his bed, sleeping soundly. However, they were both taken by surprise to find Harry, all alone, down in the common room instead, doing Merlin knows what.

"See?!" Sirius exclaimed swiftly, already getting to his feet. "I'm going to him."

"Sirius, hey, sit," said Remus in a firm tone, eyeing him carefully. "You can't just barge into his dorm."

"It wouldn't be the first time," Sirius shot back easily, his gaze lit with a gleam of madness, to which Remus let out a heavy sigh of disapproval.

"Listen, I'm sure he's okay, just maybe not much sleepy yet-- I don't know," said Remus, left with a frown of his own for not believing his own words.

"I don't buy that," replied Sirius, shaking his head. He grabbed a piece of parchment from the notepad at arm's length, dripping the quill with ink every now and then.

HARRY,
have you lost your senses? Don't you dare say I'm disappointed in you, ever again-- or I'll let Padfoot tickle you senseless till your sides burst! I'm serious, I've done it before, I can do it again... for you to remember that I've never been prouder of anyone more than you, Harry.

P.S. I'll keep the mirror on me at all times, I'm always a call away.

Snuffles.

"Yes, that will do," muttered Sirius, smirking as he finished off his letter, with words of assurance to his godson.

"Slight complication," came Remus' sorry voice, "I don't have an owl."

"Damn it!" Sirius cursed, groaning loudly. Remus frowned, his gaze set downward, and Sirius aimed to make him feel better. "The owl won't reach him in time anyway."

"Besides, it's just for the night," agreed Remus with a nod. "He's leaving Hogwarts tomorrow anyway."

"Fine, that's right," said Sirius, with a sigh, putting his mind to rest. He still slipped the letter into the upper pocket of his jacket, close to his chest. For now, Sirius backed down, although he didn't like it.