I pull my legs out from under my satin sheets, placing my feet down on the floor to stand up. I make my way over to the end of my bed where the dress is layed out, taking it in once again. The skirt of the gown is a lot more puffed out then what I originally thought I'd be wearing, without any slits in it either which was something I had loved about the other one. It does however still have a corset like top and off the shoulder sleeves which will rest above the elbow.

The last dress made me feel confident, I looked elegant and strong at the same time. With this I just feel like my parents' puppet, faux innocence being presented instead of confidence.

Innocence and purity was still a big selling point and expected of women in this society although it isn't something that would completely ruin you like it did back in the day. Whether or not you would consider me innocent depends on who or what you ask I suppose however when going into something as looking for an engagement everyone expects you to be pure.

If word were to get out it would only cause a slight scandal and definitely be frowned upon by some, especially the older generation that are still somehow alive. I really couldn't give less of a shit what people thought, it wasn't anyone else's business to begin with but I kept to myself for the most part anyways.

I got a private education here at home, Elly helping me with most of it so I didn't have any school friends and no one would dare approach me out in public. No one wanted to say the wrong thing to the daughter of a duke so naturally everyone stayed away from me. Something about him seemed to scare everyone though I knew it had to be more than just the fact that he was a duke.

I flop myself onto the bed making sure not to land on the dress, god forbid I add a wrinkle or ruin it, already feeling exhausted and this isn't even the start of it.

Today should be fun.

******

It's now 8:43 p.m

The ball began at eight and guests have already arrived, the chatter from downstairs growing louder and louder with each passing minute. The women who are in a similar predicament as I, have begun making their entrances just a few minutes ago, whereas I'm set to be the final one making a grand entrance at nine.

Now I'm standing in front of my full-length mirror, Esther making some final touches on me, fixing my dress to make sure it's on correctly and touching up my hair. I run my hands down my dress as I examine the way I look. The gown fits me perfectly, sucking in my waist slightly with the corset. The floral ivory detailing decorating the entirety of the gown looks amazing under the light making it pop.

My hair remains down with some of the front pieces being twisted to the back of my hair leaving a few face framing pieces out as well. My hair remains with a natural wave to it resting behind my back leaving my collar bones exposed, nothing but a dainty silver necklace Elly gave me for tonight resting above it.

I can do this. All I need to do is plaster an innocent smile on my face, walk down the steps, and let the men approach me.

What if I trip over my dress going down the stairs? What if I fall on my ass? What if none of them talk to me? What would my parents do? What would Father do?

No.

I cant think like this, I always do this to myself but not tonight.

I'm going to do amazing and I look amazing. I repeat those words to myself over and over until I'm pulled away from my thoughts when I hear knocking from my door. When I turn around I see Elliot standing by my open door, a look of awe sprawled across his face.

"Is it time for me to go?" I ask.

"No, not yet. I just wanted to check up on you. There's still five minutes or so left." He begins walking inside and towards me, Esther taking this as her cue to leave. I turn back around to look at myself in the mirror as he stands behind me placing both of his hands on my shoulders. "You look stunning Dory, really."