Chapter 6

The sun was beaming down on her pale skin, she heard the happy giggles of Emma in the background playing on her trampoline, she shifted around as she flicked her glasses up to check on her daughter who was bouncing around with a couple of those cheap footballs you get in a corner shop when you're on holiday. She hadn't missed work, she hadn't even wanted to think about surgery apart from doing the odd bit of locum work just to top up the skills she had learnt. No one had even bothered to speak to her, she had the odd message from Fletch and Sacha and she replied with a short and sweet answer but other than that she was happy, spending time with her daughter which she regretted not doing in the past. Her phone pinged and she rolled her eyes picking it up, she sighed sadly at the date for her twelve-week scan which felt oddly wrong to attend on her own but she knew she wouldn't have a choice considering Kian was in rehab still. Jac got up and headed indoors to mark it on her calendar to make sure she didn't forget it as this pregnancy had seemed to make her rather forgetful, baby brain maybe but she wouldn't even justify believing in something she believed was such a farce.

"Surprise"

"What the!" she jumps out of her skin pressing a hand to her chest, her eyes widen and she shakes her head "Kian"

"In the living flesh" he smirks, she seethes and how on earth did he even manage to get into her home "And before you accuse me of breaking in, I thought it would be the correct time to return my key"

"You're out then?" she questions and Kian looks at her, he nods passing her his discharge form "That's very vigorous"

"Just in case you thought I broke in" he quips, she glares at him and crosses her arms "How are you?"

"Seriously?" she questions, Kian heads over to her fridge pulling out a yoghurt, he grabs a spoon and then sits on her kitchen counter "Got your appetite back then?"

"You can't beat a good yoghurt, plus you have the posh stuff-"

"That costs a bomb and Emma loves that stuff" she states as Emma wanders into the house, she gasps at Kian and runs over to him, he picks her up and spins her around

"Kian!" she beams and he chuckles slightly putting her down on the floor, she frowns looking at her mother's expression

"Emma can you go and play in the garden please, I need to speak to Kian alone" Jac orders and Emma nods skipping back into the garden, she shuts the door and Kian picks up the yoghurt again "How many days-"

"Seventeen days, three hours and about fifty-four minutes" he nods and Jac raises an eyebrow at the meticulous way of telling her "I realised I have more to live for-"

"And you didn't before?"

"I was trying to get clean you know" he reasons with her but he knew she wouldn't believe him "I know you don't believe that"

"I don't" she confirms and shakes her head gently "Why are you here Kian?"

"I wanted to see how you were" he states placing the empty yoghurt in the bin and the spoon in the sink, she looks at him "So how are you Jac?"

"Good" she confirms simply, he narrows his eyes and she looks at him "When do you start back at work?"

"Tomorrow, I've spoken to Max and she said it was fine-"

"Looking forward to it?"

"Can't wait back to saving lives, the urban grind" he smirks and reaches up to grab a packet of prawn cocktail crisps "I can't wait to see you as well, old times sake"

"Wow you really have no idea what's gone on do you?" she questions in disbelief, she shoves a mouthful of crisps into her mouth "I don't work at Holby anymore"