As she settled against the sofa and unbuttoned her blouse. As she held Nicholas to her breast, Loki appeared in the doorway. "Is everything all right, McKenna?"

She nodded, looking up at him. "It is. More or less."

He leaned against the molding, arms folded over his chest, legs crossed at the ankles. "Are you certain? You look upset."

"I'm not upset. I think I'm just a little out of sorts. The last thing I ever expected was for my father to show up here like that." She glanced down at Nicholas, busily kneading her breast with a fist as he nursed. "I honestly figured I would never see him again and came to that conclusion when I was about ten."

The floor creaked and from the corner of her eye, she saw Loki unfold himself and come into the room. He sank onto the wood coffee table, his hands clasped and dangling between his spread knees. "McKenna."

"Why did he show up here now? After all this time?" She didn't know why she asked him this, since he certainly wouldn't know. But at the same time, she couldn't stop herself. She shook her head, wincing as Nicholas shifted and a sharp sting shot through her. It faded slowly as he righted himself and latched on once more.

"He came back."

"What?" She jerked her head up to meet his eyes. His were troubled and his expression suggested he was about to tell her something she most likely didn't really want to hear. He held her gaze for a long moment and her mouth went dry even as her blood seemed to roar through her ears. "Loki, what did you just say?"

"He came back. After you'd left to meet Shay."

"Why?"

"He wanted to talk to you."

"Yeah, I get that." Nicholas pushed her away and she brought him to her shoulder, where she patted him until he burped, then she switched sides. "So did you tell him to go away?"

He didn't reply right away and she pursed her lips. "You didn't, did you? Loki, I didn't want—"

"I know you didn't. And I understand why, but at the same time... I have to admit I felt sorry for him."

"Sorry for him? Why? Because he chose to just leave one day and never come back?" She could only stare at him, unable to believe he was taking her father's side. "And you knew I didn't want to talk to him at all."

"And you didn't have to. I did."

"Loki."

"McKenna, he's sick. He said he—"

"Uh-huh. And of course you believe him." Nicholas pulled away and let out a cry, so she brought him to her shoulder again, this time buttoning her blouse back up. "Loki, why would you do that?"

"Because he's an old man—"

"Who chose to walk away all those years ago. Who chose to just leave and never come back. Never came back when I had my knee surgery. Or when I had my wisdom teeth out. Or when my mother died!"

As she patted Nicholas' back, she shoved herself up from the sofa. "You had no right to do that, Loki. Not when I—"

"No right?" His eyes narrowed as he glared at her over his shoulder. "Do you mean to say that you believe you have the right to tell me who I can and cannot speak to?"

His voice was cold, but she didn't care. She was irritated enough for the fight and so barreled on. "When it comes to my asshole father? Absolutely."

"Isn't it possible that he didn't entirely choose to stay away?" he asked, his voice hard. "That perhaps, your mother didn't want him coming around?"

"Why would she do that? She knew how close my father and I were." She winced as Nicholas spit up down her back, and snatched the cloth diaper up from the back of the arm chair to wipe it up.

Loki flicked his fingers, and the stain and smell vanished, but she was too angry to thank him. "My mother would never have—"

"He claims otherwise."

"Of course he does! She can't dispute it, can she?" She moved to put Nicholas in his swing and buckled him in before whirling about to face Loki again. "At least tell me you didn't let him in or let him talk to the kids."

"I let him see them. A photo of them. McKenna, he told me he doesn't have much time left and that he's trying to tie up loose ends and... I believe him. He didn't look well, even for a Midgardian."

She sighed, her anger dissipating as she sank onto the coffee table, where Loki had been only a few minutes earlier. "Really?"

He nodded, sitting down beside her. "Really. Now, I told him I'd tell you he stopped by, but that I couldn't promise you would speak with him."

A headache pricked along the backs of her eyeballs and she let out another heavy sigh, leaning her head against his shoulder. "Why couldn't he just leave me alone? I was so much happier when he was gone."

She closed her eyes, burying her face in her hands. In the matter of a few minutes, she suddenly felt years older. Older and exhausted.

Loki slid his arm about her shoulders. "No one is saying you need forgive him, love. But talk to him. Just hear him out. You don't know what else he has to say and you will only grow to hate yourself if you don't listen."

She rubbed her eyes with one hand. "I don't know, Loki. I don't really care what his excuses are and like I said, my mother can't confirm or deny or defend herself against anything he might say. And I'm not sure I want to hear him blame a dead woman for his screwups."

"Then don't, but make certain it's a decision you can live with." He kissed the top of her head. "Because if you have the slightest bit of doubt, darling girl, I know you and you will come to regret it." Then it was his turn to sigh. He slapped his hands against his thighs. "It's very quiet in there. I should go make certain they aren't killing one another."

"Loki..." She caught his hand as he stood up.

"What, love?"

"What do you think I should do?"

"Honestly?" He waited until she nodded, and then said, "I think you should talk to him, McKenna. Even if you get angry and tell him to go to hell. At least then you'll have heard him out and done what you could."

As he spoke, he grazed her thumb with his. "And I know you, love. You give people a fair chance. You have ever since I've known you. And I know you will regret it if you don't do this. You believe in second chances, McKenna. The fact that I'm standing here with you is testament to that." He gave her hand a gentle squeeze. "And because of that, I have to go make certain our two oldest children aren't gorging themselves on candy whilst my back is turned."

She gave a gentle tug on his hand and brushed her lips across its back. "Thank you."

"For what?"

"Just listening, I guess."

His eyes softened and he bent to brush her lips with his. "I love you, darling girl. And I only wish you to be happy. And that means having no regrets. Call him in the morning and meet him for lunch tomorrow. I'll take the children back to Asgard for the day and if you wish me to go with you, I will."

"Let me think about it, okay?"

"Of course." He slipped his hand from hers and moved to the doorway, winking at her as he added, "Why don't you go up and soak in the tub for a bit? I'll get dinner ready."

"Are you sure about that?"

He nodded. "Of course. I'm not entirely helpless in the kitchen."

"You know, why don't I go soak in the tub and then why don't we go out and eat? We don't do dinner out a lot these days and I think I'd like to go out."

"As you wish, love," he replied with another wink. "Now, go."