Chapter 20 (Part 2)|| Get Over It, Grandma

Start from the beginning

"Exactly," he mutters.

"Patience, grasshopper," I pat his head and he scowls at me.

"Never do that again."

"What... What is the 'late'?" the old lady in front of us asks the man at the counter. She squints her eyes at the menu board and pushes her circular glasses further up her nose.

"I think you mean the latte," the man responds, "It's a coffee made with steamed milk and espresso."

"Oh..." she mutters, "No... I won't have that one. What foods do you sell? Anything gluten-free? I'm trying to watch my figure," she laughs, "my husband, Derek, is quite active so I have to have something that'll get him going, you know?" she winks.

"Ew," Blake whispers in my ear and I have to fight the urge to laugh.

"We have the gluten-free Banh Mi-Style Roast Beef sandwiches," the man replies. He looks bored and annoyed.

"I'll have that," she mutters hesitantly and purses her red lips. The man types her order into the register, "Actually... I don't know, I'd prefer something without meat."

"What about our kidney bean and pear salad?"

"I said no meat. Kidney is part of the human body. That is cannibalism-"

"Kidney beans are not-"

"For fuck's sake, will you just make up your damn mind?" Blake snaps at the lady, and she turns to Blake with a mortified expression.

I smile at her apologetically, "I'm sorry about him."

"My golly goodness, you teenagers nowadays are always causing such a ruckus," she chides, "Patience," she sends Blake a pointed look, turns back to the man and scratches her chin, "I will get the-the Banh Mi-Style Beef sandwich without beef."

"Okay so the Banh Mi-Style Roast Beef sandwich, no beef," he mutters as he types it into the register, "Is that all?"

She pauses for 5 long seconds and then nods her head, "...Yes."

"That'll be $4.50."

"Fucking finally," Blake sighs with relief.

The lady looks through her purse and pulls out her wallet, "Oh pickles," she curses, "I'm 50 cents short!"

"Aw. That's too bad," Blake replies sarcastically, "I guess you're just gonna have to leave... Oh pickles!"

I send Blake a warning look. Wanting her to hurry up, I quickly whip out my purse and hand her the 50 cent coin, "There you go."

"Maybe you teenagers aren't so bad after all," she mutters, turning back to the man.

"A 'thank you' would be nice," Blake snaps.

The lady turns back to him with an astonished expression, "I beg your pardon!"

"She just gave you money. The least you could do is thank her for doing a nice thing that she didn't even have to do."

"Blake, stop..."

"No, Bronte. This is bullshit. You old people think you're so high and mighty when really you're just bitter, rude... nuisances."

The old lady gasps, "How dare you!"

"Get over it, grandma," he snaps and I can't help but laugh.

The lady's gaze shifts to me and her nose flares in anger, "You think this is funny?"

"Sort of," I admit because she was annoying me and I wanted to make her mad.