part one

Three years ago:

MARSHALL:

YOU KNOW how parents can go solely overboard with something that shouldn't even be that important?

Yep, that's what's happening right now. My parents have decided to throw a party for my A-Level results. They're determined I haven't pulled a gcse's.

By gcses they mean failing every single subject except English. I did pretty well in English, but all the others, didn't even get a pass.

It's safe to say I was hated for a while, but now they believe I'm going to have passed my A-Levels, which I doubt is true.

My parents threw a party, not just any party; a ballroom party. There's at least two hundred people in this room right now waiting for my results.

"Why the long face cuz?" Bradley asks waltzing his way over to me holding a glass of champagne.

Bradley is one of my cousins, well biological cousins. The others I don't even think are related to me in any way, they're just children of the 'aunties' from Singapore.

"I'm joking, you don't have a long face," He holds both his hands out waving them reassuringly.

I squint my eyes at the taller man standing next to me. His eyes widen before he places the glass on the bar.

"I didn't mean it, if it makes you feel better you have a round face, with a very sharp jawline," Bradley tilts his head down running his eyes across my jaw.

My mouth slightly drops as a confused expression places on my face as I turn to him. Bradley is only a year old than me, but he looks like he's mid thirties atleast.

"But seriously why?" Bradley questions holding both hands together sending me a pointed look.

"I flunked my A-Levels," I admit quickly under my breath. Bradley hears before bursting out with laughter.

"Now they've thrown this whole thing, and I'm going to be humiliated and just ugh," I groan shaking my head quickly.

"You know your the first person in this family to let alone fail one gcse?" He emphasises the one to show how 'important' it is.

"Now your A-Levels! God your going to be remembered," Bradley nods taking a sip of his alcohol, still laughing.

"Kill. Me. Now," I groan standing back up seeing my dad- Steve Avelle, one of the greatest hockey players in history- making his way over the stage.

My mum- Kimberly Avelle, one of the best realtors in England, follows him holding a small envelope. My eyes widen as my heart beats out of my chest as I hear Brad burst out with laughter beside me.

"Everyone! Attention!" Steve shouts holding the microphone to his lips.

"It is the time you've all been waiting for," Kim joins in waving the envelope in the air. "After a disappointing gcse moment, we can assure you that this is going to be great."

"Ha, bullcrap," Bradley says under his breath as I jab his side.

"Marshall, will you join us?" Steve holds out his hand pointing to me as I gulp. Many faces spin around as I walk through the parted crowd.

My grandma stands in the crowd and I close my eyes, now I'm not getting any christmas presents.

I slowly make my way up to the stage standing inbetween my parents. They send me a slight smile before turning to the crowd in front of us.

This is so over the top.

"Now, got anything to say Mars?" Kim asks leaning into the microphone. I violently shake my head as the feeling of being sick reaches my stomach.

"Let's open it!" Kim squeals using one of her acrylic nails to pull open the top of the envelope.

I need to escape.

Do you think if I jumped out of the window anybody would notice?

The crowd claps as my parents pull out the paper, I can feel my pulse in my head as I suck my lips into a thin line.

My parents freeze beside me making everything fall silent. I look to the paper held in front of me.

Maths: F
Science: D
English: A
Psychology: A
Politics: F

Fuck.

Kim let's out a small laugh breaking the silence in the hall.

From the corner of my eyes I can see Bradley laughing covering his mouth. Squinting my eyes at him I turn to my parents.

Kim's mouth is hung open as she glares at me, Steve on the other hand, looks fucking pissed. His eyebrows are impossibly close together as he death glares me.

If looks could kill, I would be three feet under-not six he's not that scary.

"She failed!" A voice shouts from behind us making us jump, we all turn to Auntie Jane looming over us.

The crowd erupts into cries as my dad tries to calm them by shouting words like 'It's okay', yeah well Steve I don't think they find it okay.

"At least I got a nine in English and Psychology right?" I laugh leaning in the microphone trying to make light of the situation.

"What is she doing about Oxford University?" Someone shouts from the crowd.

"Oh she is going far from there," My grandmas voice shouts as people part creating a small circle around her.

I didn't even know grandmas could look that angry.

Her arms are crossed over her chest as her eyes squint at me. This time I would be six feet under, definitely not three.

"Excusem moir?" I ask sending her a little smile from the stage.

"I'm sending you to college," Her eyes glint in amusement for this first time in the last five minutes.

Well shit. 

———————————————————————————
heya, thankyou for reading this I hope you enjoyed :)
this isn't the first official chapter it's just the background to Marshall's life kind of thing.

anyway, i hope u enjoyed and hope u have a great day !

feel free to message me at any time, if you want to talk or just have a chat about anything <3