Chapter 1 - Goodbye my little mate

"I, Caden Knight, Alpha of the Mystic Falls Pack, reject you – Lily Rose of Silver Moon Pack! From this day forth I release you from our mate bond".

Lily clutched at her chest and fell to her knees trembling. The pain was excruciating, like her heart was being torn in half and all the air was getting squeezed from her lungs. She felt like she was dying. It was as though the mate bond was being violently ripped out of her, and it left her winded and gasping for breath.

How had Caden gone from taking her virginity and professing his undying love only days ago, to rejecting her completely now? Her wolf was howling and writhing around in pain – she could feel her torment and sorrow deep within her soul. She curled into herself, rolling to her side in a fetal position on the floor. Laying there on the cabin floor, she could see the toe of Alpha Caden's boots only inches from her face.

Alpha Caden stood tall, looming over her "Do you accept my rejection? Say you accept it!"

She lifted her eyes to see her fated soul mate, the one who was supposed to love her unconditionally until the end of time. He had his hands in fists at his side, and he was shaking with what looked like barely contained rage.

"Why are you doing this? You said you loved me? How can you turn your back on our bond and everything you hold sacred? We have been fated by the moon goddess." Lily said feebly, as she pushed herself up on trembling arms.

"Nobody knows you are my mate, and nobody ever will! Everyone believes that Ava is my true mate, and that is what they will continue to believe. You will not breathe a word about us – do you understand?! Goddess-damn-it Lily this is important, say you understand!"

"But it isn't true, I am your soul mate. You want me to live a lie for the rest of my life?" The tears that were pooling in Lily's eyes, began running down her cheeks. How could she possibly accept his rejection? No, she would not, he could reject her, but she would not reject him.

"I cannot forsake the moon goddess, you can reject me, but I will never reject you" said Lily, while standing in front of him on shaky legs. She reached out a hand to touch his cheek, she wanted him to feel her touch once more, to make him come back to her. Caden closed his eyes, and Lily felt him involuntarily press his face into her palm. She could sense his wolf was close to the surface and was the one pressing into her hand and taking comfort in her touch. Her own wolf surged forward; they were reaching for each other.

Caden shook his head violently, and grabbed her wrist with his hand, yanking it away from his face as though her touch burned him. He shoved her back onto the cabin bed. The same bed where he had taken her virginity in the throes of her heat only days ago. Was it only because of her heat that he had succumbed to her? Did he truly not want her? He never mentioned loving her best friend Ava during their mating, in fact he never mentioned her at all. Then Lily suddenly remembered the story Ava had told her, on the morning before their first run, about her secret lover she had back at Mystic Falls pack. The penny finally dropped, Alpha Caden must be that lover Ava had spoken of, the one Ava admitted she loved and had been with for eight years now.

"You're the one aren't you? You and Ava lost your virginity together when you were both eighteen, and despite not being fated mates, you took a blood oath bonding you together for life. You've been together all this time, she talked about you, but she never mentioned your name."

Caden's eyes grew wide, Lily could tell she had taken him by surprise, he hadn't realised Ava had told Lily about their blood oath and their almost decade long love affair. She wracked her brain, trying to remember the details Ava had told her. "I think she mentioned you would have been chosen mates, but you needed to have a child. The chances of fertility with chosen mates are rare, and you are an Alpha – so of course you needed an heir to secure your lineage". Lily became numb with realisation "So that is why you wanted me so badly, because I was in heat, you only wanted to get me pregnant. You never loved me, it was just a lie" she barely whispered the last sentence, but his keen wolf hearing heard it. "So what was the plan? You would get me pregnant, then once I gave birth you would take the baby and reject me? Then you could live happily ever after with your precious heir and have Ava as your perfect luna?" Lily sobbed, how could she have been so stupid. Of course he would prefer Ava as his luna. No wonder he made her keep their mating a secret and refused to mark her, pretending he wanted to wait for the right time.

"Lily, of course not...how could you think that? I love..." Caden abruptly stopped what he was saying, again he shook his head violently and even slapped it hard with his hand. It was like he was internally raging with himself. He hung his head down, his great shoulders slumped with exhaustion. After a few minutes he straightened back up, lifted his eyes to stare directly at her. He pinned her with a cold look of determination, which made a shiver run down Lily's spine.

"Yes Lily you are right, that was the plan. I only wanted an heir from you. I would have taken Ava as my chosen mate at eighteen, but I was forced to wait to secure my alpha line. That's why I have been searching so hard for my mate all this time – so Ava and I could finally be together. Once I had a child, I could announce Ava as my luna." Caden said in almost robotic voice, he was so cold and unfeeling. Lily felt her stomach drop at hearing his words, her wolf was howling in her mind. Her heart shattered, both her wolf heart and her human one. Suddenly Caden leaned over her and grasped her jaw in his strong hands, pulling her face so close to his. He was exuding his alpha dominance, as he stated "You will never speak a word of this to anyone. If you tell anybody about us, I will be forced to deny it, and you will be labelled a liar and accused of slander. Do you know what the punishment is for slandering an Alpha?" Lily slowly shook her trembling head. "The punishment is death!"

Was he threatening to kill her? Lily began to shake violently, and she wrenched her jaw out of his hands and scooted back to the head of the bed, trying to get as far away from him as possible. There was something deep within her soul, a tiny thread of a bond, she could not place it. But she instinctively knew she had to protect it at all costs. Her wolf was thrashing about in her mind too, she no longer viewed Caden as her mate, she was seeing him as a threat. Her wolf was snarling in her mind, wanting to take control, but also holding back at the same time. Normally Lily had to hold her wolf back from forcing a shift when she felt threatened. Strangely her wolf was coming very close to the surface, but not trying to force a shift.

Caden's eyes softened at witnessing Lily's obvious fear, he looked abashed for a moment, and he instinctively tried to reach for her with his hand. Lily swatted his hand away and let out a half human half wolf snarl, that even shocked herself - she had never made that sound before. Caden recoiled his hand and looked stunned and hearing her strange growl.

"Alpha Caden Knight please leave. I give you my word I will not tell anybody our secret. Of course Ava would have made the better luna, it all makes sense now, and I'm sorry your well laid out plans have not come to fruition. I can see now our mating was a mistake, and that we were never meant to be together" Lily sobbed out the last sentence. Her protective instincts had kicked in, and now she just wanted to be as far away from Caden as possible. This was not the same man she fell in love with.

Caden took a step back, he looked like he had been punched in the gut. He quickly turned around, so his back was to her, bringing his hand to his forehead for a moment and then running his fingers through his hair. He sighed and turned his head to the side slightly, so she could just see his strong profile and he spoke "Lily...I'm sorry for the pain I've caused you. Please know that none of this is your fault, and you would have made a wonderful luna. I know this doesn't make any sense, since I'm rejecting you, but I hope one day you will understand my reasons. Please take care of yourself.....Goodbye my little mate." His last sentence was barely a whisper as he strode out the cabin door, but this time it was her keen wolf hearing that heard it.

Lily felt her wolf so close to the surface, she tilted her head back and let out a strangled human cry mingled with a sorrowful wolf howl. Another sound she had never made before, and one she hoped to never make again.

Cover options – Which cover do you prefer? The one I'm using now, or the above option? Feel free to send me your book cover ideas, and I will display them in each chapter, with a shout out.

If you like the story please follow me, vote, and comment - I really appreciate it :)