ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ sɪx

Start from the beginning

"They're in the car," she said after a moment, watching as each pair of eyes turned to look at her.

"How long?" Esme asked.

"With the way Edward is driving?" Her eyebrows rose as she let out a breath. "Ten minutes at most."

Esme tried to keep her smile up, masking the worry, but she failed in the end. Even Jasper couldn't keep up the high spirits with his gifts. Each time he warmed the air, the iciness of stress would cool it again.

Then the rumble of a car broke through the trees from the very end of the lengthy driveway, and the front door had opened, letting in a strong draught, before any of us could decide whether or not to move. Alice was down by the car before the engine had been switched off and the doors opened. Edward hopped from the driver's seat and opened Bella's door, reaching in to take her hand.

Until then, she'd been completely obscured by the wide framework of the car and Edward's tall body. But then she shuffled toward the steps, emerging from behind Alice. It was then, that we understood why Edward was so worried. Her face was even paler than usual as if the life had been drained from her, and her eyes were dark and swollen. The lower part of her neck was as bright as a flame, disappearing behind one of Edward's shirts.

Rosalie and I shared a glance. Bella's hand rested protectively against her belly. She was already visibly larger in a way that was unnatural. It had only been three days.

My feet were moving before I'd ordered them to. Her arms wrapped around my neck weakly, eyes closing as she hugged me.

"Bella," I whispered. "Are you okay? How do you feel now?"

"Confused, overwhelmed, anxious..." she said slowly. "There are too many words to describe how I feel."

"I'm not surprised," I said, cringing inwardly when I saw her grimace. "Everything will be fine. Edward and Carlisle are going to make sure of it."

I was repeating words that Alice had told me, but as I glanced behind Bella, Edward's blank face made me doubt everything. Perhaps it was not the baby growing in her tummy that was making her scared, but Edward. He was protective- Bella had always liked that- but this was something else. Rosalie saw it too. She hurried forward, taking the rest of the Cullen family by surprise as she wrapped an arm around Bella's shoulders and led her to the living room.

Two weeks passed and the fetus began to grow until it was undeniable that Bella was pregnant. The snow passed but my ease did not. Nor did the rain. Not even Forks had seen so much water flood its streets. Her stomach was swollen, covered in large splotches of angry red. The skin of her face had turned an ashen grey, marred purple around her eyes and lips. Her hair too had been affected, made limp and dry, falling flatly to her tensed shoulders.

Bella and Edward's ruined honeymoon was drawing to a close too quickly for anyone's likening. Carlisle's research was futile, and his attempts at scanning the baby were even more unsuccessful. The situation was made worse by Alice's revelation that she no longer could see Bella's future with her gifts.

Even still, Rose would not let me forget my promise to Bella. As her health deteriorated, my loyalty to that promise began to dwindle. I believed in free choice. If Bella refused to let Carlisle remove the fetus, then that was up to her to decide. But I would not play a part in her demise, as Rosalie continued to do.

The arguments would come up daily. Bella would have Rosalie to defend against the rest of them. Even Jasper would get heated. But Esme and I would stay to the side, reminding them that the stress was good for neither the baby nor Bella, hoping to please both sides. It never worked. The arguing continued until one would get fed up. Bella was always stubborn, but her protectiveness over her baby was like nothing else.

Bella was lying down with a blanket when the first shift came. She was dazed and confused when the banging on the door came, but we were all stood ready. Then Jacob's voice floated up the stairs and Carlisle went to greet him.

"So are you going to tell me the truth or not?"

"That's Jake," Bella said, letting out a spluttering cough as she tried to sit upright.

"Bella. Stay down. You know you don't have the energy for this," Rosalie said.

"She's here?"

"They came home two weeks ago," Carlisle said.

"Jake," Bella muttered, but Alice dropped down beside her, pulling the blanket back up to her chin.

"Now isn't really the best time," Alice said.

Bella scowled. "Why not? Are we keeping secrets from Jacob too?" Her voice was bordering hysterical. "What's the point? Please, Jacob, come in."

Jake appeared at the top of the stairs, his hands remaining gripped to the bannister. His gaze drifted over the Cullens first, his expression weary, attempting to be guarded, but failing with his eyes. Alice and Rose blocked Bella from view, the first of which moving shortly after Jacob stepped forward.

"I'm glad you're here."

Begrudgingly, Rosalie moved to the side, remaining close. Jake's face dropped as he saw the darkened eyes and sickly complexion. Perhaps Carlisle's lie had worked.

"Bella, what's wrong?" Jacob said as he started toward her, being blocked by Rosalie at the last second. "Are you alright?"

Bella reached out. "Rose, help me up."

"No, don't."

She gave him a quick glare as she was pulled to her feet. "I'm answering your question."

Jacob's eyes trailed down her face, taking a moment to reach the bump of her stomach. It took another moment still, for the facts that Bella was showing him to register. Then his face hardened, his jaw locking as he glared. In a swift snap, his head twisted to Edward and he almost pounced onto him.

"You did this!"

"We didn't know it was even possible," Carlisle said, placing a hand in front of him, blocking his son.

"What is it?"

"We can't be sure," I said, earning another one of Rosalie's glares.

"Ultrasounds and needles won't penetrate the embryonic sac," Carlisle added.

But it was Alice's gloomy statement that worried the wolf.

"I can't see it either. And I can't see Bella's future anymore."

"We've been researching, but there isn't much to go on. What we do know is that it's strong. And fast-growing."

He shook his head in firm disbelief. "Why haven't you done anything? You're a doctor, take it out of her!"

"That isn't your choice to make," I shouted.

"All this fighting isn't good for Bella," Esme said.

"The fetus isn't good for Bella."

"Say the word, Alice. 'Baby.'" Rosalie's voice was almost a growl as she moved to block Bella from everyone's reach. "It's just a little baby."

"We don't know that."

"Carlisle, you have to do something," Jacob continued.

"No," Bella snapped, quietening the room. "This is my decision and my decision alone."

There was a pause before Edward finally spoke. "Outside Jacob. I need to talk to you."

He was moving past us all before each of his words had even left his lips. Jacob gave Bella one last look, waiting for her nod, before he stormed after him, and headed outside to talk.

What's your least favourite twilight book/movie?
Istg mine is breaking Dawn part 1- I hate writing for it :(