𝘴𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯 | 𝘳𝘦𝘤𝘰𝘨𝘯𝘪𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘴

The cold morning air blew in through the empty window, sending a chill up her spine despite the covers that were draped over her body. She let out a sigh as another breeze blew, curling up into the soft sheets that lay atop the bed. She expected to feel the warmth of the body next to her, but was surprised when it wasn't there. She kept her eyes shut for a few more minutes, not wanting to open them and face what possible outcome was waiting for her.

She only opened her eyes when she heard the sounds of the shower turning on, letting out a sigh of relief at the sign that he was still here. She rolled over on her back, staring up at the ceiling while she listened to the sounds of the water and his soft humming. She smiled a bit before sitting up and looking around the room.

The cold air continued to blow through the open window, sending a chill through her nude body. She reached next to her and picked up his button up that had been thrown off in the fray last night, using it as cover to keep her moderately warm. The morning sun shone through the curtains, casting a sepia shaded glow on the already brown toned room. Cars could be heard outside the window, reflecting the sounds of the bustle of the weekday mornings. She noticed the pressed uniform hung on the bedpost and let out a sigh.

She simply touched the fabric, running her fingers over it as her face dropped. She didn't notice him exit the bathroom, stopping as he looked at her. His face fell as he saw her palm the fabric. He had hoped she would wake up after he was gone so they wouldn't have to say those dreaded goodbyes.

"Songbird..."
She turned to him, small teardrops pricking at the corner of her eyes and falling down her cheeks.
"You told me you weren't leaving again for another month."
"I know. I wasn't supposed to leave yet, but I got my orders yesterday."
"You could have told me."
"I couldn't bear to see you upset. I had been hoping you were still asleep when I left so I wouldn't have to say goodbye."
"Why? Why would you not want to say goodbye?"
"Because I wanted my last memory of you to be your smiling face."

She simply looked down, letting out a small chuckle.

"That's why you spent the night with me last night, as a goodbye."
"Well, that and the fact that we hadn't had time alone in forever."

He ran his hands up her arms, giving her a soft and sly smile. She simply let out a small giggle, blushing.

"You really have to go?"
"I'm afraid I do. I'm supposed to leave first thing after lunch."
"Then promise me one thing."
"Anything, doll."
"Promise you'll never forget me."
"I promise. A thousand times, I promise."

"Hey."

She lifted her head from the window as she looked at the man sitting next to her in the car.

"You alright?"
"Yes, I am fine. How much longer until we arrive?"
"A few more minutes. I just need to pick up some things and then we'll be able to head back to the compound to figure out a plan."

She nodded.

Steve was interested in the woman. Well, less than her herself but more in her story, more in how he could help her and fix her. Her mind had been broken, that was for sure. On occasions, he could see the small glint of humanity still shining in her eyes, but just as quickly as it had arrived, it was gone. He knew that she didn't remember him, nor did she still remember the love of her life, but he was determined to get them both back to how they had been before. He'd seen her consuming whatever it was making her like this, assuming it was some order or protocol from whoever she was working for. Ideas began to percolate in his mind, the question being whether he would act on them or not.