VII. Stevie & Lee

Two days later...

Chapter Seven
Liam

We wanted to do a mashup of Hindu, Catholic (Stevie himself isn't catholic, but his family is), and Wakandan traditions for the wedding, so everything from our outfits, to the decorations, to the ceremony itself, is a combination between the three.

As per tradition in all three cultures, my parents are with me as I dress, and they haven't spoken a word to me the entire morning. Actually, they haven't spoken a word to me since our fight a few days ago.

I haven't really minded, I've been just as reluctant to speak to them as they have to me.

Maybe they're waiting for an apology, maybe they're waiting for me to tell them I was wrong. But I refuse to say either. I'm done trying to cushion their feelings at the expense of my own. If they want to be pissed at me, so be it. I couldn't care less.

At least that's what I tell myself.

For the ceremony, I'm wearing a tan Kafni—which is a long shirt that falls to about my knees—some matching leggings called Pijamo, a red scarf, tan shoes called Mojri, and my hair is pulled back into a low ponytail. Stevie is going to wear a black and tux, per American tradition, and a red bowtie to match my scarf.

Last night Stevie stayed in our house while I stayed in one of the rooms at the palace, another tradition between all three cultures. It was nice, these rooms are gorgeous and I've never stayed in one of them before, but I missed Stevie. I hated sleeping alone. I know it's tradition to wait to see each other until the ceremony, but I'm getting antsy to see my soon to be husband. So antsy in fact, that when a knock sounds from my door, for a split second I think it might be Stevie, but it isn't, it's Soroya and Bucky. I try not to feel too disappointed; I'll see him in about a half an hour anyway.

"I hope we aren't interrupting," Soroya says with a polite smile. Bucky meanwhile keeps his expression indifferent, he's probably trying his best not to scowl. "We just wanted to check and see if you were alright and if you needed anything."

My heart swells, and I feel myself smiling back at them. It occurs to me that this is the first time I've smiled all day. It's my wedding for Shiva's sake, I should be smiling the entire day. It makes my anger towards my parents fester more.

"Mom, Dad, can I have some time alone with Soroya and Bucky?" I don't look at them as I ask, and they don't even bother answering. They just leave, scowling at Soroya and Bucky as they slip past them. Soroya refrains from doing the same, but Bucky sends them a look that's probably sent trained assassins to their knees in terror.

The door shuts abruptly behind my parents, and then I suddenly feel like I can breathe normally again, like I can relax. Soroya and Bucky relax as well, both of their faces breaking into genuine smiles, all previous animosity gone with a blink of an eye.

I hold out my arms and they both rush over towards me, enveloping me in their warm and loving embraces.

"How are you doing, honey?" Soroya asks, smoothing her hand over my ponytail.

"Better now that you two are here."

"Any pre-wedding jitters?" Bucky asks.

"None. Does Stevie?"

"Nope. He's very impatient to start the ceremony."

My heart swells once again, and I feel my own impatience grow by the second. I want nothing more than to march downstairs and marry that man right this second. But given how crappy my morning has been, I want to savor this moment with Soroya and Bucky. I want to have good memories from my wedding with at least one set of my parents.