Prologue

Prologue

My name is Elizabeth Shelby. My father is Thomas Shelby of the Peaky Blinders. The Peaky Blinders don't just fix races and run the black market. They aren't just a gang, they're an empire. But they are also my family. And they are all I've got. So I'm grateful. The war was hell and not everyone made it out. Everyone knows my dad is a ruthless man but at least he's alive. Though he struggles to show a warm side as a father, I understand why. He's been through a lot. My mother died during childbirth and I never knew her. My dad doesn't talk about her. Aunt Polly tells me what she can and Uncle Arthur does sometimes. I've seen a few photos but that's it. All I know for sure is my dad loved her and when she died, he was heartbroken. I miss her, I do. It's just confusing to miss someone I never knew. I think I miss having a mother most of all.

As I grew up, I quickly realized the illegal nature of what my family does. My dad also quickly realized how smart and strategic I am. He realized how similar we are. I reckon he wanted me to join the family business. Only I have one thing he seems to lack, a conscience. Who would have thought Thomas Shelby's daughter would be the one with a moral compass. So every family meeting, my dad called me in and I sat there silent. I listen to them make plans and decisions. My dad used to look at me, waiting for me to give my ideas or thoughts, but I never did. He gave up long ago. Now it's an unspoken rule that I will never be involved in his business.

Unfortunately, his enemies didn't care.