Chapter 6

"I'm crazy, aren't I?"

Genie laughed at the woman who paced around the kitchen and continued mixing the cake she made from scratch. "If love makes you crazy, then yes."

"I barely know him," Logan said, chewing her short nails. "It's been three weeks. Barely. Most of my time isn't even spent with him."

"Logan, you are perfectly sane," Genie told the woman, gripping her shoulders. "You love Nicholas, and I know he feels the same."

Logan rolled her eyes. "No, he doesn't. I'd be an idiot to assume that."

"Well just because he isn't on a bended knee after one night in bed with you, it doesn't mean he has zero feelings for you."

Logan's eyes grew as she nervously glanced around the kitchen. "How did you know about that?"

"I was practically the boy's mother," she simply stated. "You don't think I suspected something when I saw him dance his way into the dining room this morning before work? And then the help falls in love with him, so it isn't hard to guess."

"I'm just the help," Logan reminded herself. "God, how could I have forgotten?"

Genie frowned. "I know my Nicholas, Logan. He wouldn't take you to bed if he thought of you as just the help."

"It was just a one time thing," she tried convincing herself. "It'll never happen again anyway."

Genie scoffed in disbelief. "Says the woman who's in love with him."

"In love with who?" Perrie asked, flaunting into the kitchen.

"No one, dear," Genie said, handing Perrie a baked cake to be frosted. "We must hurry and get these done. The other Wilders are coming over to celebrate Ky's fourth birthday."

"How long have you worked for the Wilders?" Logan asked once they were alone again.

"Almost thirty five years," she said. "I was only twenty when Nicholas was born, and that was when the Wilders hired me to play the role of a nanny and a cook."

"Do you think I'll be working here that long?" she asked. "I'll probably have to watch him get married and have kids."

Genie ruefully smiled at the woman and turned to the oven. "You can ask him yourself."

Logan spun in her stool and gasped when she came face to face with Nicholas.

He immediately cupped the back of her neck and lowered his head to kiss her on the lips. "Now what were you saying about me marrying off to have kids you'll be taking care of?"

"I didn't say anything," she said, still dazed from their kiss.

"That's a shame," he muttered. "Because I was looking forward to seeing you care for our kids."

Her eyebrows furrowed as she opened her mouth to question him, but he was already walking away.

Genie laughed once they were alone again and shook her head. "Tell me that man doesn't love you now."

• • • • •

"Charlotte is getting fussy again," Serena said to her husband as she handed her off. She smiled once she had her off her hands and pulled Logan into the kitchen. "Who's the lucky man who got some?"

Logan raised an eyebrow and gave Serena a tight smile. "What are you talking about?"

"I'm pregnant again," she said, pointing to her nonexistent baby bump. "Theo doesn't know yet, but I can see a less sexually frustrated woman when I run into her. So who was it?"