Chapter 4

Logan was exhausted by the time she crawled back into the car with a wardrobe worth a million bucks. Well, it wasn't that expensive, but it felt that way.

Nicholas looked over at the restless woman from his phone and tucked a stray strand of hair behind her ear. "Savor this moment now because we're still meeting my brother and his wife for lunch."

"Thank you for everything," she whispered.

"Don't thank me," he said before withdrawing from her. He immediately returned his attention back to his phone as the car drove forward.

Logan kept her gaze trained outside as they passed numerous buildings and towers in the city. From a distance, she could see the flashing green light from the tallest point on Century Essentials, reminding her where a small part of her came from.

"We're here," Nicholas said, glancing out the window to the restaurant they'd stopped in front of. He exited the car first and waited for Logan to slide out on his side, but she opened the door on hers and met him on the sidewalk. "I'm wounded."

She glanced at his opened door and frowned. "I can open my own doors, Mr. Wilder."

"Yes, but how often can I open doors for you?"

"Not very," she muttered as she followed him to the entrance of the restaurant.

Theo and his wife were already seated when Logan and Nicholas entered and were immediately escorted to the table.

Serena smiled at Logan as she took her seat. "Hello, lovely."

"Hi," she said, her voice practically a whisper.

"I wasn't aware you'd be bringing Logan as your date," Theo commented, glancing at his older brother.

"She's only here because I simply didn't have the time to take her back to the house." Nicholas tugged at the neckline of his v-neck and took a deep breath. "Have you two ordered yet?"

"We were waiting for you," Serena said. She frowned when she caught the nervous look on Logan's face. "Is there something wrong, Logan?"

But Logan wasn't looking at her or any of the others she was dining with. Her gaze was dead set on the man who was fast approaching them.

Nicholas followed her line of vision and quickly stood up. "Mr. Logan, I presume?"

"Now you're having her follow you around like a lapdog?" The man swung a fist at Nicholas, but he was quick to dodge it.

Nicholas cursed when he heard the yelp behind him and the scene of gushing red. "Logan..."

She shook her head at him, touched her lip, then glared at the blood on her fingertips. "I'll go with you, Thomas. Just don't hurt... him."

"Logan, no," Nicholas protested.

But Logan was already standing beside her father. Her head fell to hide the shame in her eyes. "It's best that we leave now, Thomas."

"I fucking said no!" Nicholas snapped, pulling Logan flush against his body. "I'm not letting you walk out the door with that man when you could be in danger."

"I'm not," she said as calmly as possible. They had drawn attention to themselves, and that was the last thing she wanted. "Please, Mr. Wilder. I have to go."

He pulled a handkerchief from his back pocket and pressed it to her bloodied lip. "If you're going anywhere, it's with me back to the house. Let's get you cleaned up."

She couldn't utter a single word as he took her hand in his and pulled her outside.

"I swear to God, I will end you, Wilder," Thomas yelled from behind them. "Bring my fucking daughter back here!"