CHAPTER 22

"Damn it, damn it!" the professor began, hands banging against the table. The coffee that had been sitting in front of him for the past couple of hours, close to the edge of the table now.

The old man who ran the shop upstairs always brought him down a cup of coffee at 6:00 pm to help him push through the rest of the workload. He unbuttoned the cuffs around his wrists and pushed back his sleeves, rolling them up his forearm. 

He rubbed at his temples, a migraine beginning to form in the back of his head. In front of him lay files of names he wouldn't remember the next day, and would most likely find their way in the recycling bin in the next hour.

He had flipped through most of them, not bothering to read further into cases he deemed "unnecessary" or "unimportant" until he fell upon the case file of Y/N Gray.

At first she had just seemed like one of the ordinary files they received on a daily basis. She fit the profile of almost everyone he had read about. The thing that had intrigued him was her updated file. 

19 years of age, living in New York with her "mother" until earlier that month when she had passed, that was labelled a 'heart attack' as H.Y.D.R.A loved to use to cover up anything they didn't feel they should bother explaining even when it involved agents of their own.

Underneath her standard information of where she lived, and what she did for a living they listed her as important. He turned to his computer typing her name into the system to see if they had any more information on file surrounding her.

The tapping of his fingers against the keyboard was the only sound you could hear, besides the small clock that sat on the wall in front of the door of the box office that was located underneath a tea restaurant on Greene Avenue.

He never used the clock on his desk, it was only there as a decoration— one of the very few he had. He had a watch that his father had given him placed upon his wrist. It was given to him as a gift when he had first started his job. A way of saying 'thanks for finally doing something with your life so we can have our basement back'. It wasn't said directly, but the meaning was implied. 

A deep sound came from his computer and when he looked at the screen he saw a big 'X' on the screen followed by the word 'Access Denied'. 

He didn't have the right clearance to search the file so his research was cut short.

He spent most of his days there, researching and filing away past cases and failed experiments. His most recent had been involving the first subject of the Winter Soldier Program and since his escape, Daniel Violet had set his case aside. Y/N was the daughter of former S.H.I.E.L.D agent Augustus Gray and Anastasia Eir (Anastasia being the name she chose upon returning to earth).

Violet had been keeping an eye on Augustus since meeting Eir. Their daughter Y/N, had been born with healing herself, a source of self preservation her mother had wanted to see blossom into something more. The professor assumed that Y/N's power would mature and grow as she got older, as most did.

Y/N had been in and out of hospitals as a young child, but she would never remember those visits. She wasn't mean't to. She was mean't to forget, she wasn't even supposed to be alive, but she was.

And now they needed to find a way to get what they needed back. They had almost succeeded a couple months back when the Winter Soldier had taken her hostage and then let her go.

Fools.

He took his circular glasses from his face and placed them on his desk, his head in his palms. The dark curls of his hair falling onto the back of his hands as he looked down at his computer once more.