Midnight Rendezvous

Start from the beginning

_._._._._._

Draco was at the flower shop with Blaise Saturday afternoon, looking for flowers to give to Charlene. He was picking her up at her flat and then they would apparate to the restaurant.

"Why don't you just give her red roses? Every girl likes red roses." Blaise was saying irritably. It had been nearly half an hour already just to look for the flowers. Draco just couldn't decide.

For some unknown reason he just couldn't give Charlene a rose, even if it wasn't red. He moved passed the roses and unto the lilies. There were many different colors, from tiger lilies to white lilies. The white ones seemed too pure for a girl he didn't even know, which was weird considering that Charlene was a Pureblood. The others were too gaudy and attention grabbing. Blaise was nagging again, trudging along beside him.

"You know, mate, why ask me to help you when you won't even listen to me?"

"Maybe because you're just saying something that is not necessarily useful so we can get out of here and you can test my Silver Arrows? Though I must warn you that they insist on chasing after birds now, even if they don't do anything else."

Blaise opened his mouth to argue. Then he closed it and said shamefully, "That would be it."

Draco paused at the carnations. Looking at it, it seemed suitable. Not flashy like some of the exotic greenhouse flowers, but simple enough to be beautiful. Though it's not as elegant as the rose. He reached for red carnation and stopped before he touched the stem. Something in him told him not to get that one. He looked to his left and took a striped carnation instead.

"Come on, Blaise. Let's pay for this and we can go to the company."

_._._._._._

Later that evening, around seven, he was standing in front of a very expensive looking flat. There are diamonds in the doorknob, he noticed as he knocked. A blonde woman came out, clad in an equally expensive looking dress with her hair tied in an intricate knot at the back of her head. So far, she was polite and beautiful. Good, he thought.

"Draco Malfoy, I suppose?" She said, looking Draco up and down.

He tried not to feel like a piece of meat on sale. "Yes. And you are Charlene. These are for you," He added, handing her the carnations. "They're striped carnations."

She smiled brightly, and said, "I'll put these in a vase."

Somehow Draco remembered how Ginny had reacted to the rose he gave her a few weeks earlier. Her whole face had lighted up with one look, and when she took it, she breathed its scent in deeply, as if she could practically live on it.

Charlene had taken the flowers from him and went inside to find a vase, which turned out to be a crystal one that shamed the flowers in its glimmering beauty. Ginny had held onto the rose the whole time, preferring to put an anti-wilting charm on it instead. Was it just because they were carnations and not roses that Charlene was acting that way?

When put the flowers on a decorative table near the doorway, Draco asked, "Shall we?" and held out his arm like any high-class gentleman would.

"Of course." They apparated together to the restaurant.

_._._._._._._

By the end of the night Draco was exhausted. It wasn't because of Charlene. She was absolutely perfect. She was exactly as Draco had expected her to be after that first impression, sophisticated, charming, and rich. No surprises. But he had to return to work for a while after their date, which lasted till ten. The Silver Arrows were still creating trouble. Blaise had nearly crashed into a tree and was attacked by a mother raven defending her young.