CHAPTER ELEVEN | The two A's

Start from the beginning

Wanna give up and just get out, but I don't

Up all night, I've been fighting' what's on my mind

Kinda feels like I lost the fight, but I won't.

Alive by Audrey Mika, a song I adore. A song that makes me feel stronger, a song that tells me that I'm not alone.

A hand lands on my shoulder, "You wanna get that one Lina?" Athena says with a smile.

"Yeah, let me take it off and we can pay." I say grabbing the case for the vinyl.

We approach the front counter, I go to pull out my wallet. But my hand gets slapped, causing me to hiss and look at the culprit.

I send her a glare. And she smiles in return.

"I'm paying, Katalina." Athena says voice firm, handing her card to the old lady. "I brought you here for a reason, and one of them is that I'm paying."

We bid our goodbyes to the cashier, but before I step out of the door. Athena grabs my wrist pulling me towards the corner of the shop. "You-" She points, "Stand right there and pose, this is a great spot for a picture. I feel like a proud mom."

"Finee."

I stand holding the vinyl in one hand while the other covers my face.

The moment she takes a picture she brings the phone down away from her face, smiling. "You are adorable."

K Y L O   S T O R M

"I wanna ask her on a date."

"You do?"

Azariah looks up from his phone, "I do, I really do." He pauses, "I feel like there's something going on between us. And I want it to go somewhere."

"Then go ask her?"

"Straight up?" He questions.

"Yeah."

He shakes his head, waving his hand. "Unlike you, I know a thing or two. I got tricks up my sleeve." Standing up, he places his hands on his hips like a dad. "I'm not a 'straight up' ask guy, alright?" He says mocking me.

"First of all, good for you." He stares at me worried. "I'm being for real, but stop standing like that, you look like a dad."

"Oh shut up, I'll be a cool ass dad." He thinks to himself for a minute. "Ky, I know we talked about this earlier, and I want you to know. I am here for you, no matter what you choose to do."

"Okay."

"I'm being serious. Just don't hurt her okay?"

"She doesn't even like me, I'm not gonna hurt her." I say.

Azariah dramatically sighs, "Can't you see the way her face lights up when she sees you?" He says looking at me. "Or is it just me?"

I think to myself for a few minutes, I've never seen her face light up. Whenever I walk into the room, I can't tell what she's thinking. Her face stays neutral. "Yup," I pop the 'p.' "Just you, I'm being serious too Riah, I- don't- see- shit."

"You should get your eyes check," He mumbles the next words, "Blind motherfucker."

"What did you say?" I push. "I couldn't hear you."

"Blind, mother, fucker." He adds, "And you can't hear, damn! Best of both worlds."

"Ah I see."

Azariah speaks up again, "I'm still mad at you though, you dumb ass." He says, "But you know I can't go a day without talking to you."