Days of Future Past

Three Years Later

Alaric was sitting at the head of the dining room table, all of his concentration on what was in front of him. Still, Abigail wrapped her arms around him from behind. She kissed his cheek, his jaw, and then his neck, before saying, "The girls are in bed."

"I think I got it." He pressed the baby doll's button, clapping victoriously as its sounds filled the otherwise quiet first floor of the house. "Yes!"

Her lips worked their way back up the same path as she unbuttoned the top two buttons of his shirt. "I think it's hot that you rewire toys instead of bombs now, Mr. Saltzman."

"Oh, really," he put his hands on her forearms, the simple gold band on the ring finger of his left hand smooth against her skin. "Mrs. Saltzman?"

Without taking her lips off of his, she moved into his lap so that she was straddling him. "Really."

His hands moved up her legs, so sure of where they were going, until they found their resting place. She moved against him, deepening the kiss she'd started, until there was no choice but for her to drape her arms over his shoulders. It was a rhythm that through the years had solidified, one that always put them in sync.

"Ewwwww!!"

Although Abigail pulled back to look at Lizzie and Josie, neither her nor Alaric released the hold they had on one another. "Hey! I just put you to bed!"

Lizzie shook her head. "We don't want to go to bed."

Josie swayed back and forth. "We want to play!"

Alaric looked over his shoulder. "Well, it's past your bedtime."

Together, they said, "No!"

Abigail laughed; she couldn't help it. "Yes!"

They looked at each other before running in the direction of the playroom in a flurry of pink and yellow. Their giggles were loud, even from across the hall, and they drew the eyes of Abigail and Alaric together. He kissed her, soft and sweet, one more time before letting his hands fall away.

"Girls," he asked, "what are you doing?"

There was no response, in fact, they had fallen silent.

"Lizzie?" She called. "Josie?"

Again, no response.

She stood up, moving to the only cabinet that was locked. He was right behind her, waiting for the stake shooting rifle she passed to him as she reached for a vervain pistol. They cocked their guns at the same time, stepping into the foyer with only a look.

The front door was open. The front door was open and someone was standing at the threshold. Damon. Damon was standing at the threshold.

Alaric did not lower his gun the same way Abigail lowered hers. "Damon."

"Well, aren't you two adorable?" Damon glanced down at the twins. "You girls, too."

They rushed to put themselves between them, Abigail taking to words, "Stand behind Mommy and Daddy."

"Why so gloomy?" He asked. "Looks like you got everything you wanted."