Man on Fire

In the weeks leading up to finals, Scull Bar opened early and closed late. It was something of a tradition for students to end up there, to study or not, because there was something about the atmosphere that welcomed everyone. And, well, once the clock ticked just past a certain hour, it was clear that they were on a college campus.

Elena walked toward Abigail with plates from the buffet. "Breakfast, Professor Gilbert?"

She looked up at her, mug in one hand, textbook in the other. "I know what you're doing."

"What am I doing?"

"You are using distraction tactics to get out of studying. Stay focused." She switched her book for flashcards. "Psychology, sociology, and anthropology share the assumption that-"

"Scientific methods can be used to understand human behavior."

"Verbatim. Which means it's time to switch to the harder questions."

"Thank you for helping me study." Elena reached for her mug. "After Damon declared that we can't be friends and that he never wants to see my face again, I needed a distraction."

"You're welcome."

"Hey. I'm sorry I'm late." Bonnie sat down in the armchair next to Elena. "What did I miss?"

"Just that Abigail's clearly found her calling." Her chuckle faded into a sigh. "I'm surprised that you're up for studying, you know, considering..."

"Considering?"

"The Other Side... Falling apart." She glanced in Abigail's direction. "She's in denial."

"I'm not in denial. The Other Side is disintegrating. As the Anchor to the Other Side, I'm only alive as long as there is an Other Side. I'm perfectly aware of the threat of my impending death. There is nothing I can do about it." Bonnie pushed an open book toward Abigail. "It's called acceptance, the fifth stage of grief. Look it up, Teach."

"Look, Bonnie, we've already lost you once. We're not doing this again. It's not an option, okay?" Abigail didn't sink into her chair, she straightened out her spine. "Not to mention what's gonna happen to Alaric, Grams, and everyone else over there. So, what are we gonna do?"

"If you guys promise to stop hovering, I'll ask Liv if she has any witchy ideas. Besides, don't we have bigger problems with the Travelers trying to take over Mystic Falls?"

"Damon's already on that."

"He is?" Elena asked.

She tilted her head to the side. "Did I say Damon? I meant anyone else."

"Damon said that he never wanted to see me again, so I guess we're both in denial."

"Speaking of denial..." She stood up. "I have to go meet with my hard-ass professor about my absence. Maybe by the time I get back Stefan will be here."

Dr. Garrison's door was not open, it never was. So, even though Abigail was early for their scheduled meeting, she knocked. She heard him drop his pen, scoot his chair back, and walk to the door, but she was not prepared for the expression that she was met with.

"Well, isn't this a surprise." He closed the door behind her. "I figured since you've missed so many classes, you might not show up."

She only sat down once he invited her to. "There is a very reasonable explanation for that."

"I'd love to hear it. Because I'm not just your professor, I am the director of this program. And, as much as I would hate to take you off of the advanced degree path, I will if you are not taking this seriously."