11 | courage and cowardice

Six years ago

Bright and Gunsmile were waiting for the valets to get their cars in the lobby of The Monument Thong Lo (a luxury high rise condominium where the latter lived), when Gunsmile took notice of a high schooler scrambling out of the building. 

"Hey, isn't that N'Win?" Gunsmile wondered out loud, his eyes glued to the person in question. Bright followed his friend's gaze, frowning before standing up. "Yeah, what's he doing here?"

Without having second thoughts, the two approached Metawin on the condo's driveway.

"Hey, Nong!" Gunsmile greeted loudly as if they were in a club and couldn't hear one another, catching the younger off guard who weirdly swayed on his feet, while Bright circled around them quietly.

Win clutched his school bag tightly against his chest like a shield or a safety blanket, keeping his head down as he muttered. "Oh hey, P'Gun, P'Bai..."

"Whatcha doing here?" 

"Are you drunk?" Bright accusingly questioned, alerting the high schooler who slurred in defense. "Ha? I--Uhh. What are you talking about, Phi? No, I'm not."

Gunsmile leaned in to sniff Win, before covering his nose. "Ai shia N'Win! Did you just spray a whole bottle of perfume on you?" 

"To mask the smell of booze, obviously," Bright deduced, pushing the younger slightly to see if he'd stagger. He did and almost fell on his ass, making the former clutch his arm. 

"Yep, he's drunk alright." 

"What the hell, Metawin. Who have you been drinking with?"

Raising his head to look at his Phis, Win visibly gulped, ready to beg for his life. "Please don't tell, P'Type... Pluem. Uhh--- He lives here and we were only supposed to study but he brought out a soju... We---I had no idea it was gonna be that strong... And it's my first time drinking..."

Gunsmile held back a laugh while Bright scratched his head at Win's confession. Gosh, he was such a sheltered kid. 

"P'Beck's picking me up soon cause he has no time later and I---"

"You think he's not gonna notice this?!" Gunsmile gave up hiding his amusement.

Win squeaked in distress, "Is it that obvious?!"

"No shit, Metawin."

Groaning, the high schooler slid down to sit on the ground. Pressing his palms against his eyes, he cursed, "Shit shit, they're gonna get so mad at me...", while the two older men could only feel sorry for his situation.

"Stand up, you can stay at my place again. I'll make something up for Type." Bright sighed as he offered. He was so not expecting to spend another Friday night covering up for the younger, who didn't seem to hear him.

"Yeah, get up Nong. People are staring, they're gonna think we're bullying you or something... Stay with Bright---" Gunsmile stopped short, then looked at Bright in disbelief. "WAIT, WHAT? STAY AT YOUR PLACE? AGAIN?"

"Oh stop being dramatic. Help me pick him up." 

The two ushered Win up as Gunsmile continued to rant. "I've never, WE'VE never been to your place at the 98, but Win has already been there?!?!" 

Right on time, Bright's car has finally arrived on the driveway and so they strapped a now half vegetable Win on the front passenger seat. Taking in the younger's dopey stressed state, Gunsmile huffed out. "Yeah, this does not look suspicious at all. Just two guys putting a  drunk high school student in a car..."