1 || welcome back

Present

Win was pacing back and forth, gazing out the conference room's floor to ceiling windows as he tried to get his head straight for his first day at work. His hands were clammy, itching to sketch the Bangkok skyline from the Chivaaree Tower, 47 floors above despite the numerous times he had already done so. To say that he missed the city would be a bit of an overstatement, considering he went home three months ago during spring break. But perhaps there was just something about the concept that now, he's back for good... at least for the next two years or so.

"You alright there, kid?" New Thitipoom asked from the glass conference table a few feet away, fiddling with an Apple pen as he examined today's meeting outline on his iPad.

Win stopped on his tracks, clearing his throat before taking a seat across from the senior civil engineer, "Yeah Phi."

"You sure? You look pale," The older man who he owed his first job to pointed out, sparing a quick look at him.

"Yeah, I just didn't get much sleep. Still adjusting to the time zone."

"Uhh, Phi..." Win warily added, "Are you sure only the project manager will come today?"

"Yeah, only Tay and his assistant. Don't be nervous, they already approved of your design. They love it." Win absently bobbed his head, internally letting out a relieved breath. New then snapped his iPad's case closed, removing his glasses, "Take a five. Drink some water or wash your face. Today is gonna be a long day, I don't want you all jittery later."

When Win returned to the room approximately four minutes later, he was taken aback to see all the seats taken now. The nervousness came right back up against his throat in an instant as all heads turned towards him, like hawks zeroing on their next prey.

New clamped a hand on his shoulder as he settled next to him, "Everyone, this is Metawin Opas-iamkajorn, our lead architect for the central building. I recruited him all the way from Berkeley so don't go scaring him away."

Win wai-ed to the five people and New began introducing them in clockwise order, starting with the guy seated closest to him, "This is our boss Tay Tawan Vihokratana, the project manager or project development head, whatever you wanna call it."

"Namtan Tipnaree, his assistant."

"Earn Rachanun, lead architect for the recreational facilities."

"Phukong Guntithanon, junior architect."

"Luke Ishikawa Voyage, civil engineer manager."

Okay so maybe the hawk simile was over the top, now that everyone was smiling at the youngest in the room, Win.

"Nice to meet you, Nong. Welcome to the team." Tay shook his hand.

"The pleasure is all mine, Khun!"

"Drop the formalities. We're all family here. Right guys?"

Everyone agreed in unison, offering him assurances and warm greetings to which Win answered with a grin from ear to ear, his prominent two front bunny teeth showing.

"Na rak!" Namtan cooed along with Earn, making him blush in embarrassment.

After a couple of small talks, Tay clapped his hands to gather their attention, "Let's get this show on the road, shall we?"

____________________________________

Five taxing but productive hours, about six liters of coffee, three successful revisions, and a lunch break later...

"Where's Win?" Earn asked, opening her laptop, ready for the next five more hours of revising and planning.

"Oh, he went down to receive some delivery," informed New.