Chapter 8

Kikimora and her team of coven scouts were hiding behind the bushes with the Owl House in clear view in front of them. Kikimora narrowed her visible eye at the godforsaken house that she despised. The Golden Guard, Lilith Clawthorne, and the Owl Lady were always ruining everything for her and her Emperor. But now at least the Golden Guard's meddling would come to an end. And it's hoping to be a lot easier now that they saw the human and her friend leave the house, and seeing Lilith, the dog, and the house demon all talking outside behind the house. Meaning, the Golden Guard didn't have anyone to protect him inside other than the Owl Lady. She turned around to face the small army she had led here, but still bigger than the number of scouts she had brought last time, "You all know the objective here. Capture the Golden Guard as quickly and as efficiently as possible. And try not to make too big of a scene."

.

Luz and Amity were sitting against the large, pink-leafed tree they had gotten their flower crowns from at grom. They decided to have their date there, considering it had personal significance. They were just talking, laughing, and overall just having a good time together. Luz loved everything about Amity, how she listened to all her silly ramblings, how she would laugh at all her corny jokes, and how she was the one person who could bring her down to earth when it felt like she was floating lost among the stars. They had their hands intertwined with each other, and they were looking up at the clouds together in quiet peace.

"Ooh, that one looks like a cat!" Luz said happily as she pointed up at the cat-shaped cloud that was hovering way above them. Amity chuckled a bit, but then looked away, her facial expression dropping.

"Amity, what's wrong?" Luz asked, looking over at her. "You've been pretty down lately since we left the house. Oh! Is it because I forgot about our date today?! Aw Amity I'm really sorry-"

"No no it's not about that," Amity cut her off as she shifted towards Luz, looked at the ground, and crossed her arms. "It's about Hunter..."

Luz raised her eyebrows and put a hand on Amity's shoulder, "Really, we can trust him. I trust him now."

Amity furrowed her eyebrows and looked up at Luz, "Well I don't."

"Why not?"

"He threatened your safety a while back when you were sick."

Luz's eyebrows shot up even further. She actually didn't know that, but now looking back upon it, it makes sense. She had seen how well of a fighter Amity was, and Hunter didn't look like he got more than three hours of sleep per day, so it made sense that the only way Hunter managed to get the key was by threatening and manipulating her into giving it to him. And she didn't like the sound of that. Luz felt her blood boil slightly, but she forced herself to shake it off.

'No. She got to know Hunter. He isn't that bad of a guy, and he's with us.' Luz told herself internally. In these past few days, she really got to know the boy and realized a lot of things about him. He was misunderstood, and under all that angst and anger he was just scared. Luz wasn't an idiot, she was able to put two and two together.

"Yeah that makes sense- but he is-"

"What? Different now? Luz people don't change overnight."

Luz sighed, looking down at the grass. She did make a valid point.

"And I don't think you should be letting him anywhere near you, let alone letting him stay at your house!" Amity said a bit louder this time, gripping her crossed arms.

She looked up, "He isn't going to hurt me!"

"But he could!"

Luz sighed again, not being able to think of anything else to say. Noticing Luz's silence, Amity continued to go on, "Sorry I just...I don't know what I would do if I lost you."