"How are you doing with the change, miss?"

Clara shrugged. "It's fine," she said. "It's not like I haven't switched places of employment before."

"It just seems as though everything with Harrison Norrington is very complicated." He gave her a knowing look.

"I suppose it is," Clara said. "But that's between him and Araminta." She gave Andani a hard stare back.

Andani chuckled. "I suppose you're right. None of my business, anyway."

"Alright, let's get on our way." Araminta had just entered the room, and Clara was thankful she had missed Andani's comments.

"The transport is here and waiting for you, Lady Araminta," Andani said.

Araminta gave him a nod, and Clara followed her into the transport. A quick journey later, and they were at Araminta's new home.

Araminta's new home. With everything going on with Ezra, Clara hadn't even given herself a moment to stop and think about the fact that with each passing day, Araminta and Harrison's wedding grew closer and more likely.

But hopefully, Clara and Harrison's plan to help Ezra could also help with the marriage.

Clara helped Araminta get settled into her new room, she wouldn't be staying with Harrison until after they were married, and then suddenly felt very lost in the new environment. "Is there anything you need, my lady?" Clara asked. "If not, I'll check in with the head of staff, Cadence, and see if there is anything she needs me to do."

"You can stay up here and help me get ready for dinner," Araminta said. "I can't be as casual as I am at home, not until after the wedding."

Secretly relieved that she didn't have to inquire about her new expectations from the new household, Clara also had to suppress an eye roll at Araminta's comment about being casual. There was nothing casual about the Llewelyns' normal dinner routine. Here, it was just more complicated.

Clara watched Mr. Norrington carefully through dinner. He gave no sign that he knew of any involvement she might have with his son, but Clara wondered how much she could trust her own observations. She didn't know this family as well as the Llewelyns. It would take a bit of time for Clara to trust her instincts in reading her new employers.

With Harrison, however, Clara could guess the motive behind his behavior. He outright ignored her. He wasn't rude, but he also wasn't overly polite. Clara assumed it was a show he put on for his father. And given that Mr. Norrington now directly held the fate of her employment status in the palm of his hand, Clara was glad Harrison was taking the extra precaution.

"My lady, would you care to accompany me for a walk this evening?" Harrison held out his hand to Araminta as they all stood at the end of the meal.

Araminta hesitated. Clara held her breath. She needed Araminta to say yes.

"Just to let everything settle before you go to bed," Harrison pressed. "It doesn't have to be long if you do not wish."

"Very well, then." Araminta shot Clara a brief side glance. "A walk would be lovely." She turned to Harrison's parents. "Thank you for dinner," she said.

"Welcome to your new home, my dear," Mrs. Norrington said. "We're very happy to have you here."

As soon as they were out of earshot of the dining room, Araminta turned around to look at Clara, who trailed behind the pair. "What exactly—"