Reactions: Part 2

Start from the beginning

Once Veronica lets her go John pulls her into a hug, "We're here if you need us," He whispers then follows her to the car, watching until her car is out of sight.

------

"Hi uncle Freddie," Alice knocks on his bedroom door entering at the same time, "Jim said you wouldn't mind if I came up."

Freddie beams setting his soup bowl to the side, "Not at all lovie, though I wish you'd said you were coming I would have made sure I was up and about." His appearance is starting to deteriorate, his thick moustache is gone, his face donning at stubble beard and moustache. He's lost weight and the once invincible looking man is starting to look mortal.

"Don't you dare get out that bed," She warns him sitting on the bed, Delilah prowling over for a fuss, "if you not feeling great then you should rest?"

"I can rest when I'm dead, lovie."

"I can't argue with that," It's the same thought she has in her mind.

"Has something happened?" Freddie picks up on the distance look in her eyes.

"Yes, it has," She explains everything to him, the pregnancy scare, the cancer and the death sentence. She knows out of everyone, he knows exactly what she's feeling because he's on the same path just a different disease.

"I think would have preferred a pregnancy announcement too," Freddie sympathizes, "How do you feel? You scared?"

"A little bit but in some ways, I know it sounds bizarre but I feel..."

"Free," He finishes her sentence with a sad smile, "I feel the same way. I know now I don't have time to fret or take my time, I just have to do what I want to do. Though I don't feel the same about yours. You're still so young and have an entire life to live whereas I've lived most of mine."

"And yet I couldn't picture a future without Molly. I have two favours to ask you?"

"Ask away."

"Will you wait for me?"

"Sorry?" He doesn't understand her meaning.

"We're both dying and I ask that if you go before me, that you wait for me. If I pass before you, I'll wait for you. I have no idea what is next but I'd feel a lot less scared by it with the idea that you'll be on the other side with me."

Freddie hadn't really thought about that side of things, he tries not to but he can understand her fear because he has the same one buried deep down, "Of course I'll wait for you. I'm sure Molly will be there too."

He clears his throat, "What the other favour?"

"I have two songs in my mind that I want to get recorded. I've already spoken to Miami and he's sorting some studio time for me but I need a pianist if you'll agree? You have to keep it to yourself though, I don't want the others knowing until they're released."

"I'd love to help you, my dear, and don't worry, your secret is safe with me." She stayed chatting with Freddie for a while before driving back to Brian's. To her relief, her dad's car is still there.

Anita lets Alice in and she heads straight up to the studio, she was going to walk straight in but she pauses at the door hearing her dad's voice, "How am I meant to cope without her? Having Alice in my life has helped me and I'm a better person because of her," Roger pours his heart out to Brian because he knows Brian would never tell the others.

"She's 19 for Christ sake. She's meant to be looking forward to her future, looking at moving into her own place and following her career, not planning her own funeral."

He goes to take another swing of whiskey but Brian takes it off him, "Stop. I don't know what to say Rog because I can't fathom it either. She's been through so much already, I never thought life would kick her down even more. Biologically she might not be my daughter, but she's as close to one and the thought of losing her is unbearable, I can imagine Deaky and Fred feel the same."

"She's dying," Roger sobs, "I'm her dad and I can't do anything to stop this, I've never felt so useless. And how do I tell Rory and Felix? They both love her, they'll be devastated."

Alice continues to listen to his sobs, rapidly shedding her own tears. Quietly she pushes the door open, Roger has his back to her, so she wraps her arms around his shoulders, crying into his back as he completely breaks, his hand gripping her arm tightly so afraid to let go of her.

Neither of them spoke because, at that moment in time, the pain is too much to put into words. Once they've both calmed down a little, Alice drives them home, promising to bring him back in the morning to collect his car.

Small jump ahead