29. Through the Portal

Start from the beginning

It's like a sob could burst from my lips from all this emotion... all this anger and pain. But then  he looks away again, on to Thio and it's the same as always. My father and his approval and his affection mean something to me that I will never manage to mean to him. That realization sinks over me as a trumpet blares to begin the final trial.

Even if I win, I will be no closer to winning my father's affections. Finally earning my freedom will have to be enough

Thio is tasked with the obstacle course first, leaving Alek and me standing in the arena as the smiling knight approaches a swirling orange portal that Elin has opened. It's a rare feat in our world for such a thing to be conjured, and I stare at Elin wondering just how he plans to do it for all three of us twice each. But he seems unstrained as he moves his hands in a circular pattern, keeping the doorway open as Thio enters. And then the air around the portal cinches in again, and he's gone.

"Have you ever..." Sosha asks from my shoulder.

"No," I answer in a wary tone. No, I have never traveled through a magical portal to an obstacle course of death.

We wait for Thio's return. And wait... and wait. The sun moves along in the sky, Leif brings me bread, cheese, and some water, and Alek seems to do the same. Sosha doesn't say much as the hours tick past... what is there to say now? She can't warn me for anything, can't prepare me or coach me along. No one knows what I'm about to face in this portal.

I sneak a glance towards Alek, but he seems completely at ease per usual. He must sense my gaze because he catches me staring and smiles wide. Those beautiful eyes flash that inner ugliness and I look away from him again. He lost the amulet... why does he seem even smugger than before?

There's no time to consider it because Elin is suddenly waving his hands in the air around him as if pulling apart a pair of stubborn curtains. And then the invisible curtains split open mid-air and Thio stumbles out.

The crowd gasps as he lands in the sand of the arena... and he doesn't get up.

"Thio!" I shout at him, even as I take off running and I reach him before either of his pages do. He doesn't answer me, just lays face down in the dust... I hold my breath, trying to gauge if his chest is rising and falling.

"Princess..." he mutters, and I realize just how much mud is caked along one side of his head and then I see it - his ear is missing.

"Mother of the Goddess," I mutter, "What happened to you?" I demand, even as I work one hand underneath him in the dirt.

"Itssatrickk..." he mutters hoarsely, and one of his bruised eyes opens to look at me, "Not what... seems..." he adds weakly. He is in bad shape, but I'm already fOrcing my healing magic into his lungs. I try to keep the light pressed between Thio and the ground, so the crowd can't see.

One of the pages comes scrambling to his side, shouting his name, and then freezes when he sees the dull glow of magic as I press harder into Thio. I won't have much time left... even less if this page turns me in. It's the burly one who carried Talon and I beg him with my eyes to stay silent. He presses his lips together and looks back down at Thio, afraid for his master. So am I.

The crowd is shouting, in a bit of an uproar, Alek seems to be yelling as well. But just as Elin is rushing towards us, I pull away my palm and Thio takes a bracing gulp of air.

"My lord!" Thio's page barks, and he doesn't seem to care that it was my illegal magic that saved his master just now. I sit back on my heels, worn from the strength I've given Thio. But his lips form the most pitiful of swollen and split smiles up at me, and he reaches for my fingers.

"Thank you," he murmurs, closing his eye and I sigh in peace. He'll survive.

"Get away - now!" Elin barks at me, "You're not allowed to ask the other contestants questions!"

"Put a cork in it, and heal the man you old codger," I hiss in a tired and poisonous tone that sounds a little too much like my own voice. Elin falls silent in shock as I rise and turn back to my spot in the arena. The people are booing as I go, and it takes me a moment to realize it's me they're so angry at. I don't even glance over my shoulder as I take my place again just head of Sosha.

"They do not know who you are..." she reminds me, I think it might be the kindest thing she's ever said to anyone, and that alone makes me chuckle.

"They would boo all the more if they did," I snipe back at her, then turn to face the stands of angry pink faces and fists as they call slurs my direction. Somehow, it doesn't feel all that different than how they've always treated me. It might even be... easier to take their hatred in this moment. At least it's to my face instead of whispers behind my back. Either way, I am the demon alligator they've hated since my childhood... they aren't wrong about that.

"Did he say anything?" Leif asks from  my side and I shrug apathetically.

"Something about... it's not what it seems?" I answer with another shrug. That could mean a hundred things... including a few surprises that I would be more prepared for than Thio. But Leif's face crumples into a severe frown, more worried than I've ever seen him, and he falls uncharacteristically silent.

"Aleksander Blackwater," Elin calls out as he pulls apart the sky to open the doorway once more. Thio is being carried off in a stretcher, presumably to see Gaius, but my heart is at ease, I know I gave him more than enough strength to heal over the next few days, no matter what happened in that portal.

"So much for no cheating," Sosha bites out, and I refocus my attention just in time to see Elin rapidly speaking to Alek. No doubt trying to make up for whatever he thinks Thio had time to tell me about the obstacle course. I roll my eyes. No one sees Alek for what he is. And it wears on me. If it weren't for bruises, and the distinct, gut-wrenching fear that washes over me when I hear his voice, Alek might even be able to convince me that I'm lying.

The crowd falls silent as their handsome hero waves one last brave arm, and blows a kiss in my direction. Well - Isobel's direction that is. There's an audible sigh from the female population of my father's court and I cast my eyes heavenward, praying to the Goddess until well after he's disappeared the same as Thio.

And then... we wait some more.

"They've made you last on purpose," Sosha growls after a while, and I wonder if she's about to begin pacing like a caged lion. My moose bear on the other hand is asleep in the sand at my feet in a particularly warm patch of sunlight, completely at ease. Leif still hasn't said a word, but I can hear him fidgeting, again and again, each time his armor squeaks, so I know he's nervous too.

"By the way," I begin, clearing my throat awkwardly, "If I don't make it back... it's been... nice -"

"Oh, Goddess - if you so much as think about crying at a time like this!" Sosha growls at me, and I grin. Leif, still says nothing, so I turn to him in concern. He's staring at me, his mouth hanging open like a fish, looking on the verge of tears himself.

"Leif...?"

"Wren - I - "

"No time for romantic confessions now, Leifson - throw your hat in when she gets back," Sosha admonishes, and we both look up at the sound of Elin reopening Alek's return portal.

He steps through as if he's just been on holiday to the seaside. Not a scratch on him as he waves towards the crowd. They erupt in joyous applause and my mind scrambles for an explanation.

"What is this magic?" Sosha mutters under her breath, saying the words I'm thinking.

"Wren -" Leif tries again, but then Sosha is dragging at my arm, shoving me towards Elin. The old wizard is scowling at me, holding open the portal in the most begrudging fashion you can open a portal for someone. I take a deep breath and look over my shoulder one last time in the direction of Leif and Sosha. They don't wave or anything, but they're there, and it bolsters me.

"Ready, Sam?" And I'm rewarded with the polite meow from my shoulder where four small paws land with ease. One deep breath - and I jump through the swirling orange portal in the air.