29. Through the Portal

I follow Sosha out of the camp, she's walking ahead at such a brisk pace I can tell she's hoping I won't catch up. Leif falls into step beside me with his usual smile and his indigo uniform freshly pressed.

"So this tournament..." I let the question wander as I wait for either of them to answer, even though I'm pretty sure Sosha has decided not to speak to me again. Probably doesn't want to get too attached since I'm about to die.

"It's simple, honestly, Princess," Leif begins in his overly optimistic way, "You'll have your weapons at your disposal, anything you've gained during the extent of the tournament - including Sam - and it's a simple obstacle course."

"Nothing about this has been simple!" I scoff as we make our way past the other tent sites. There are only three of us even competing today, but every contestant is expected to remain until the end of the tournament when the winner is announced. My stomach knots itself once more. In less than an hour, I'll be dead, or I'll have won my freedom.

The daylight comes dry and sunny... much too cheerful for what's ahead of me, but at least there will be less mud this way. I enter with Sosha ahead of me, and Leif drops back to walk behind me. My face is covered in our customary traditional war paint... but after this, everyone will know it's me under here.

I scan the bleachers for Isobel's face and find her in her place beside Sothia still acting as my stand-in even though she can't stand me anymore. A heavy veil covers her face, and she put on heavy leather gloves to hide her very un-green hands. It will be quite the surprise when my father reveals that prize. Sosha's accusation comes to mind just one last time like a whisper... someone has been betraying me. That much we know... I just don't want it to be the only person I thought loved me. That's all.

"Welcome!" My father's voice booms unimpressed and overpowering across the wide-open space. Birds sing overhead, a sweet spring breeze laces through my armor where I stand in the lineup alongside Thio. Alek is on his other side, grinning like a fool. And he should be. It was just last night that he publicly bested one of the visiting Orcs, another sits in my father's dungeons and he nearly sliced off the hands of one of the Orken pages.

By appearances, Alek has this victory nearly guaranteed. Thio spares me one glance, a polite nod that probably no one else even thinks much of. I stare at his profile a little longer after he looks away. I don't know what I'm going to do if we're forced to duel... I'm just hoping one of us doesn't make it to the final piece of the obstacle course so I don't have to find out.

"Today marks the end of an honorable competition between the greatest knights our realm has to offer."

I try not to fidget at that, wondering just how they're all going to react when one of those knights end up being... well - me.

"To end this tournament of excellence we have before you the top three contestants... they will run an obstacle course set out by our very own Elin to test their merit, as well as any skill that was born from the hardship of this tournament. The two with the best times will end the tournament with a duel to the death."

I swallow hard and say a prayer to the Goddess that I'm the one Alek kills instead of Thio. He's been so good to me. I press the amulet Talon stole from Alek against my chest and feel a warm burst of its magic pass into my bones, lending me strength that was stored there again and again over time. It's how Alek has been moving so quickly, finishing everything before us... and maybe today it will give me what I need to finally beat him.

"Knights - are you ready?" My father turns to us, and he meets my eyes for one brief moment. I stare back, the wishes of thirteen years bubbling to the surface from the different places in myself that I've pressed them down, pretended I didn't really need anything from this man.