Losing It All

*A few months passed and Madison transitioned to college and left her friends behind. They would occasionally check in on each other and things went on like that for a little while. One day while Madison was on her way to school, Alana called her.*

**OVER THE PHONE**
Madison: Hey Lana. What's up?

Alana: Hey. Are you busy?

Madison: Nah. What's up?

Alana: We need to talk about something. *Madison's anxiety was ignited*

Madison: Okay. Talk about what?

Alana: What happened with you and Nathaniel?

Madison: We haven't talked since graduation. 

Alana: He confessed to me. *Madison's chest tightened*

Madison: Oh. He did? Sigh. I should have been the one to tell you. 

Alana: So why didn't you?

Madison: I was too scared of what you'd say or think.

Alana: So you thought talking to me less and avoiding him would do the trick?

Madison: I didn't have a plan. I do know that I never wanted to hurt you. 

Alana: It hurt that he was the one that had to tell me. I thought we were close. 

Madison: I know. I know. I should've told you.

Alana: I guess what's done is done.

Madison: I'm so sorry Lana. 

Alana: Don't worry about it. I'm just glad you didn't to choose to lie about it when I confronted you. 

Madison: We're okay?

Alana: Yeah, we are. Bye.

*As Madison hung up the phone, she felt her heart drop in her chest. She started to hate herself for all she had done and wondered how this would impact her friendships.*

*Two weeks later*

Brittany: Maddie.

Madison: Yes Brit?

Brittany: Is there anything you wanna tell me?

Madison: *she scratched her head* I don't think so.

Brittany: Why didn't you tell me about Nathaniel?

Madison: I didn't know when or how to bring it up.

Brittany: You tell me everything so, what was so different about this?

Madison: I was young, dumb and in love. I was so concerned about forgetting about it all that I failed to realize it would come up one day. I'm sorry you had to find out from Alana instead of me just telling you.

Brittany: That's not cool at all.

Madison: I know. I hate myself for it.

Brittany: Okay, I'll talk to you later.

*Later that night, Madison laid in bed thinking about where she went wrong. It seemed as though she had lost two friends and that soon became a reality. Madison had fewer convos with Alana and Brittany and she could feel the tension when they would text. Eventually, her guilt got the best of her and she accepted that she was losing it all. Madison lost love and friendship that she could never regain. She cried herself to sleep for several days after thinking about what a horrible friend she had been.*

*A few months later*

Madison's Mom: Don't forget to unpack that box and throw away what's not needed.

Madison: Okay mom. I'll do it now.

*She walked over to the box her mom was referring to and began unpacking the contents inside. Soon enough, she stumbled on a book that had several pages falling out and notes she had received in high school from friends and crushes. She smiled while looking at her graduation pictures until something caught her attention. Hidden in the corner of the box was a small pile of graduation pictures her friends from high school gave to her. She sat on the floor examining them and smiled at the notes on the back of each. Her smile slowly faded when she came across Nathaniel's picture. For a moment, she began to get teary-eyed but, she took a deep breath and tried to calm down. She turned the picture around and as she read the note, a million memories came flooding through her mind.*

*The Note*

"Thank you for being a part of some of the best years of my life and helping to make it what it was. Love you, kid. 

To: Mrs. Perfect 

From: Mr. Perfect "

*She instantly broke down in tears and remembered crying herself to sleep for several nights. She felt all the emotions she felt while beating herself up about being a horrible friend and losing the person she once planned a whole life with. She tossed the pictures aside and walked outside to get fresh air*

**END OF BOOK**