As we stepped into the elevator, my gaze fixated on the illuminated floor numbers, and I tapped my heels impatiently against the marble floor. "Ensure that my coffee is prepared and waiting for me in the meeting room," I commanded my assistant.

"It is ready ma'am." He mumbled as I nodded in reply.

As the elevator doors opened, I exited and began walking purposefully toward the meeting room. Amidst the background chatter, a particular conversation about a certain man caught my attention, piquing my curiosity.

"He was seen in the bar yet again. And this time, he took a girl out with him."

"But wasn't he with this... model last week."

"Tsk tsk, if it weren't for his songs, I wouldn't have been a fan of his."

"Yeah, but you can't deny that the Kayden McCoy is the hottest Male specimen ever!"

In that moment, I closed my eyes briefly, taking a composed breath before snapping them open again. With a swift motion, I directed my attention towards the group of women engaged in gossip, and I snapped loudly to capture their attention. "Am I paying all of you to engage in idle gossip?" I questioned assertively, making my disapproval clear.

In response to my assertive remark, all their heads swiftly turned towards me, their eyes widening in surprise. Sensing their discomfort, they averted their gaze downwards, feigning guilt. "If indulging in gossip is what captures your interest," I declared sternly, "you are more than welcome to submit your resignation letters on my desk."

Expressing my exasperation through an eye roll, I pivoted around and made my way decisively towards the meeting room. Upon entering, I greeted everyone with a curt, "Let's begin." Cracking my neck to relieve tension, I mentally focused on the tasks at hand, determined to shift my attention away from a certain man I've been trying to forget about since four years now.

" Cracking my neck to relieve tension, I mentally focused on the tasks at hand, determined to shift my attention away from a certain man I've been trying to forget about since four years now

I massaged my temples in a bid to alleviate the stress that had accumulated throughout the day. Anticipating my third cup of coffee, I hoped that it would provide some relief for the persistent headache that plagued me. The last thing I needed was a literal headache compounding the burden already resting heavily upon my shoulders.

Their words continued to echo in my mind, the gossips revolving around Kayden, my ex-boyfriend, the person I still harbor deep feelings for. At times, I convince myself that I have moved on, but then a rush of memories floods back, crashing into my thoughts with sudden intensity and then bam!

Reality check, I'm still in love.

No matter how badly he dumped me. Or I dumped him.

To this day, the truth of who ended the relationship remains a mystery. Perhaps it was a mutual decision, a shared hope that we could work through our issues together. Yet, here we are, leading separate lives, pretending as if we are strangers, as if the connection we once shared never existed.

Like we never meant anything to each other. Love sucks.

At the young age of 23, I have achieved success as a businesswoman, holding the esteemed position of CEO at Scott Enterprises. Perhaps one of the youngest individuals to occupy such a role, I started proving my capabilities as early as 18.

Balancing the demands of my family, studies, work, and love life was no easy feat, but I believed I could handle it all. However, it's evident that I fell short in certain aspects

In two most important things, family and love.

As my train of thought is interrupted by a knock, I respond with a "come in" before resting my head against the headrest and shifting my gaze forward to identify the person entering. It turns out to be my secretary, Tracy, striding in with purposeful steps, her 3-inch heels making a distinct sound. Her hands are occupied, one holding a mug of coffee for me, while the other grips an iPad.

Noticing that it was Tracy who entered instead of Amos, I express my surprise, "I thought I had instructed Amos." I have a particular preference for assigning specific tasks to certain individuals, as I value maintaining a sense of strictness and discipline within my team.

"I've to inform you the details about the fundraiser, held today evening hence I'm here." She said confidently as she leaned forward and kept my mug on the coaster by my MacBook. "Your coffee, ma'am."

A small, amused smile graces my lips as I take a sip of my coffee, appreciating its warmth and flavor. If there's one person I truly admire, it would be Tracy. Despite being only a year older than me, she exudes diligence and confidence in her work.

I find myself eagerly anticipating her work, knowing that she consistently manages to accomplish even the most challenging tasks with precision and accuracy. Tracy's ability to turn the seemingly impossible into reality is truly remarkable.

Furthermore, I find that Tracy is one of the few employees who maintains a confident demeanor and converses with me without any trace of hesitation. It's evident that she possesses the capability to single-handedly manage and sustain this significant business venture. In many ways, she exemplifies perfection, but my own selfishness prevents me from letting her go.

It is worth noting that Tracy's personal life is also on track, as she is engaged. It can be surprising to see someone so young already committed in a serious relationship. However, when I reflect on my two childhood friends, Theo and Astrid, I am reminded that love knows no age boundaries.

They both have found happiness in their engagements and are set to be married in a month's time. I am honored to be chosen as the maid of honor, with Cristine joining as one of the bridesmaids.

I quickly snap back to the present moment as Tracy's voice breaks through my thoughts. Noticing the slight frown on her face, I refocus my attention on her. She regains her composure, clearing her throat before addressing me again, "ma'am would you like to know the guest list?"

"No need to go into specifics, just inform me if my cousin has been invited or not," I reply, acknowledging Tracy's preparedness to provide the requested information.

Tracy pondered aloud while her fingers swiftly typed on the iPad, contemplating which individual to discuss. "I'm unsure, ma'am. Are you referring to Mr. Campbell or Mr. Scott?" she inquired, seeking clarification before proceeding with the details.

"Lewis Scott, Tracy."

She nodded in acknowledgement and continued typing, "His name is not listed, but I will double-check to confirm," she informed me. I nodded in understanding, realizing that it would take some time to verify. "Additionally, I wanted to inform you that your dress for the fundraiser has been delivered—"she began, providing an update on the delivery of my attire for the event.

"Retrieve it," I interrupted her, swiftly asserting my request. "I will be going directly from here, and I would like you to handle my makeup as well," I specified, indicating that I expected her assistance in preparing my appearance for the event.

"Yes ma'am, may I take my leave now?" She asked.

"Indeed, you may proceed," I confirmed. Tracy swiftly turned on her heels and made her way out of the room. I let out a sigh, feeling a mixture of anticipation and calm settling within me. Bringing the mug closer to my lips, I took a moment to savor the aroma and warmth of the coffee before taking a sip.

How long am I going to live on coffee?

This day has only started and it has already turned into a disaster. I wonder what else awaits for me.

Broken PromisesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara