Arise From the Ashes, O' Fallen Soldier Pt. 3

Start from the beginning

"There's no way you would've left me here with the Doctor. You always come back after I meet with him. Always. Always."

"Dabi-" Shukaku began.

"I can fucking do it." Dabi hissed. "I just...."

"I know."

Blue fire rose from Dabi's hands.

"Sensei... did you get a new Quirk? Who did you take it from? Why did you not bring me with you?" Shigaraki asked his questions rapidly, still unaware of the fate that was about to befall him.

"I...." Dabi began, sounding breathless.

Shukaku stepped forward and put a hand on Dabi's shoulder. "I got it."

Sand rose from the floor revealing the tile underneath.

"What are you doing? Is this training? I thought we stopped training like this... Sensei, why won't you speak to me?" Sand crept up Shigaraki's legs and pinned his arms to his sides.

Dabi looked away.

"Sand coffin." Shukaku squeezed his fist. The sand convulsed once, twice, and then nothing. Shukaku moved the sand away and piled it in the corner to avoid making Dabi look at the remains. It was gruesome.

Dabi was trembling slightly.

Shukaku was at a loss. He didn't really know how to do the whole comfort thing.

Dabi looked up at Shukaku, his eyes haunted. "That could've been me."

Shukaku hid a wince.

A while back, when Dabi and Shukaku were talking, Dabi had explained the growing resentment his younger self had felt towards hero society as a whole. How much he hated all of them for praising Endeavour and heroes like him.

So when Dabi said that he could've turned out like Shigaraki, Shukaku knew he meant it in the most literal sense. Even if Shukaku didn't entirely agree.

"Come on, let's go. I'm sure we can find a liquor store still standing." Shukaku gingerly placed his hand on Dabi's back and guided him out of the building.

They'd address what happened here later, much later. When things had calmed down and they could live somewhere without maggots. For now, Shukaku would treat Dabi to a drink.

~~~

Shukaku set out late at night.

He didn't want to drag Dabi into it anymore, he could already see how their last outing was beginning to take an effect

"Shu-kun!" Shukaku whipped around and immediately dodged a knife that was coming his way. He wondered how the girl knew his name.

"And? Who are you?"

"You don't know? I'm hurt...." The girl was blonde with messy pigtails and a high school uniform.

Shukaku raised an eyebrow.

He anticipated her charging at him again and trapped her feet with sand. "You don't happen to work with a misty bitch, do you?"

"Oh! You mean Kurogiri?" The girl asked, seemingly unbothered by her bound legs and inability to move.

"Sure, Kuroriki." Shukaku drawled.

The girl frowned slightly but didn't say anything about his mispronunciation. "This is no fun if I can't move! You won't bleed this way." She pouted.

Shukaku was suddenly reminded of how he behaved while Gaara was his host. He immediately dispelled those thoughts as quickly as they came. How did the younger generation put it in this dimension? Ah yes, 'edgy.'