"You know, Crow Man, if you just let me go I could have them leave you and your little group alone," Adaline whispered as they crouched behind a group of pots and pans. 

Kaz rolled his eyes and tugged her up once more when the coast was clear. He dragged her through a cobblestone path full to the brim with people, where she could hear Zoya's frustrated noises behind them.

"You're valuable, Little Starkov. You and your sister." Kaz said as he pulled them through more streets. "It's a shame we couldn't get her too, but for now you'll have to suffice. At least we won't be murdered on sight back in Ketterdam."

Adaline puffed a short breathe as he lead her through an abandoned alleyway, his leg aching as he hobbled. "For the record, I'm older. And what do you mean 'valuable?' What did they promise you in exchange for whatever you want from me?"

Kaz paused, the hand gripping his cane shaking. There was no point in lying to a girl who was going to die anyway. "A million Kruge. In exchange for you and your sister. Only difference? My people want you dead."

Adaline paled and quieted. Her eyes landed on her feet as she stumbled alongside the man in black. When he stopped abruptly, Adaline hardly noticed the presence of the other man in front of her. She wouldn't have if the shadows that lingered around them hadn't begun to cling to herself, and something a few feet ahead of her.

When she lifted her head, she was met with the beautiful and relieving sight of Aleksander Kirigan. (or was it really even Kirigan? She'd have to ask later.) He looked considerably older than he had the night before. Dark circled laid beneath his eyes and the skin of his forehead seemed creased as opposed to its usually perfectly smooth texture. His hands rested in fists next to him. He was clad in all black, as usual, but across his shoulder laid a thick cloak lined with black fur, most likely to help with the cold of Winter.

The sight of Adaline beside another man brought Aleksander both positive and bad vibes. She looked alright, save for a slight change in her skin tone and the ropes holding her hands together. Kaz Brekker, on the other hand...

Adaline went to step forward but was stopped by a firm smack of Kaz's cane hitting the stone directly in front of her. "You let me go this instant, Crow Man, or I swear to all Saints what I showed you back in that tavern will be a kitten compared to what I will do to you." she hissed.

Kaz remained poker-faced, seemingly unfazed by her threat.

"I see you kidnapped my Summoners."

Just his voice sent shivers up her spine. Twenty-four hours away from the other had done neither any good. "And now you're going to tell me where you stashed the other one."

Both men stayed where they stood. "We didn't take her," Kaz said defiantly. Adaline tried to step around the cane, but it shot out horizontally, putting a bar against her stomach. "She fled on her own."

Aleksander's eyes flashed. He quickly looked to Adaline, only to find her subtly shaking her head. He had no reason not to trust her. Adaline hadn't fled.

The Darkling did his iconic eye roll, clenching his jaw and looking to the ground before making very intimidating eye contact with Kaz. "Where is she?" he shook his head. "I won't as you again."

Kaz's hair was windswept from the rush of hobbling through the town.

"I don't know. It was pretty clear she wasn't interested in being captive anymore." a smirk began to play at the corners of Kaz's lips. Adaline let out a breath at the sight of shadows beginning to line up behind Aleksander.

"What're you doing? You'll get yourself killed," she muttered anxiously.

"Didn't you just threaten me?"

"I only do that to get a point across, I wouldn't have actually done anything besides slap you upside the head," she said dismissively.

Aleksander's patience very clearly ran thin. "You should have stayed in Ketterdam, Mr. Brekker."

Adaline's eyes widened. She turned to Kaz and whispered hurriedly to him. "You've got to let me go now, Kaz, he'll kill you! Move your bloody cane before I let him."

With one last dark glance at the female Shadow Summoner, Kaz moved his cane, allowing Adaline to rush forward, throwing her arms around Aleksander's neck in such a motion it nearly threw him off his feet. The leader of the Crow's took the chance to run.

Adaline inhaled deeply, immensely pleased to be wrapped in her lover's arms once more. His grip was tight, desperate, as he nuzzled into her messy hair. He was pleased, despite her un-cleanliness. His hand holding the back of her head to his shoulder as tears sprung to both of their eyes.

"Aleks, I promise I didn't run. Alina, she—she fucking drugged me. I didn't want to go... a-and then she left me—" Adaline choked on a sob.

His hand rubbed gently across her back. "I believe you, my love. But you should have let me kill him."

Aleksander felt her shake her head against the nape of his neck where her nose now burrowed into. Her voice was muffled. "I don't like murder. He would have never gotten us without Alina."

Aleksander sighed and pulled away, untangling her arms from his neck and using a knife he kept on his belt to cut the rope holding her hands. He took them between his own and softly traced the red marks they had left. All he did was shake his head and bring his palm to her cheek, running his thumb across her smooth skin. He pulled her close and pressed his lips to her forehead, resting his chin atop her head and whispering a quiet, "I love you."

Now, this.

Even if they were in the middle of the True Sea, Adaline felt content. Not her sister, not Mal, not even her writing had made her feel this way. 

This was home.

****~****

a/n

ah hello my loves 

welcome to chapter twenty-three, lots going on

share your thoughts hehe

anyways 20k/30k special will be posted next in celebration of twenty and thirty thousand views on my precious book. It's truly insane and I'm so thankful for every single read, comment, and vote you all have given me.

tell me now if you want smut in the special, because I've only just started it and it's not too late to add it in ;))

If you guys want more updates with NH, keep an eye on my message board. I make sure any important things are announced for my followers :)

I love you all <333