Chapter 10 ~ Free the beast

Start from the beginning

Nat and Tony made their way down winding hallways and corridors, knocking out guards as they went. They came across a corridor packed with heavily armed guards. The duo just looked at each other with exasperated expressions before getting to work. Tony knocked down the last agent in the hallway and looked around the seemingly dead end.

"It can't be just an empty corridor with that much security," Nat commented, catching her breath.

"FRIDAY. Do an IR scan of the hallway," Tony said to his AI.

"It appears to be a descending passage 12 m forward," FRIDAY answered, showing them where to go. They opened the passageway and made their way downwards. At the bottom of the staircase, they were met with more guards who instantly opened fire. Tony just sent out a batch of tiny homing bullets, incapacitating most of them while Nat took care of the rest.

"This must be where they conduct all of their experiments," Nat thought aloud as she looked through one of the glass walls into a lab.

"And torture." Tony beckoned her over to the other side of the hallway. He had found a cement chamber with everything you could imagine; whips, tanks of water, an oven with metal tools next to it, chains hanging from the ceiling, a thick pole going from floor to ceiling, and so much dried blood on the floor and walls that it made even Natasha sick to her stomach.

"Sir, I detect an air current from the far wall," FRIDAY informed. Tony made his way over to the wall and started looking for something that would let them inside. When that didn't work, he retorted to just blasting the wall down, making it crash into the floor with a bang, and readied his blasters for an attack, but it never came. Tony looked around the pitch-black room and saw something hunched over on the floor. Motion-detecting, fluorescent lights flickered on, and what he saw there would probably live with him for the rest of his life.

"Nat, come look at this," Tony said as he stepped out of his suit to get a better look.

"Oh, lord. Guys, I think we found her," Nat called into the comms. "FRIDAY, take pictures of the mutant and all the other rooms."

"At once, ma'am."

"Good, we have it cleared up here. We're just rounding up the last of the experiments. Call if you need backup. See you at the jet in 10," Steve answered before cutting out again.

The figure was a young woman bent forward on her knees on the concrete floor. Her arms were pulled straight back and up by heavy chains that connected to the ceiling, and her neck was fastened to the floor by a heavy collar and wire. Her entire face was covered by something that resembled an airsoft mask, blocking her vision and probably her ability to speak and make noise as well. What confused Nat and Tony was the fact that there was not a single scar or cut on her body. She wasn't even bruised by the chains. How had she managed to avoid any punishments over so many years in this industry?

"What do we do? Sedate her or try to talk to her? We don't even know if she can hear us," Tony walked around the room, examining the girl's body and restraints.

"I'll try and talk to her. If she can't hear us, we sedate her and carry her out of here. We don't have much time," Nat said before crouching down in front of her and speaking in a soft voice. "Hey, can you hear me? Nod if you can." A tiny, almost invisible nod was the only confirmation she needed.

"Okay, we are here to help you get out of this place, but I'm going to need you to help us a bit." The mutant gave another nod. "Great, I'm going to tell you exactly what I'm doing, so just keep calm, and everything is going to be okay." Nat slowly walked around the girl and began trying to unlock the mask covering her face, constantly guiding the mutant through what she was doing. After a lot of effort, she finally managed to get it off. When Nat felt it release, she made sure it didn't just fall off, she came back around to face the mutant, and slowly took it off. As the gag part finally left Peitho's mouth, a coughing fit came over her by the movement. Once it passed, bright yellow eyes fluttered open, trying to adjust to the sudden brightness. The mutant looked up at the redhead in front of her with a confused expression.

"Hello. That man over there is going to help you out of those chains now, okay?" Nat explained, giving Tony the go-ahead to remove the restraints. First, her right arm fell, then her left. Going to the front, he cut the wire holding her neck down, but when he tried to take off her collar, she flinched away and glared at him.

"Alright, alright, I'll leave it on. Now, you're going to have to cooperate with us here. Can you walk?" He asked, raising his arms in surrender. Keeping her eyes on both of them as if they were aliens, Peitho slowly and shakily stood, her arms locked behind her back.

"Great, let's go," Tony walked back and into his suit of armor. He led the way towards the ground level, looking back every so often to make sure the two women still followed him. Peitho still had her arms behind her back and simply looked bewildered by the whole situation. Nat walked at the rear, making sure that the mutant didn't make a run for it and keeping watch should anyone try to ambush them.

The team had just rounded up the last few experiments into a jet when Nat and Tony stepped out of the building with their target in tow. She held her head low, her expression giving away nothing other than subordination. The only article of clothing the woman wore was a thin silk slip and nothing on her feet. She looked so cold, with goosebumps all over her body, but it didn't seem to faze her. The trio made their way over and into the quinjet that the team would be flying. All eyes on board turned to them as Nat sat the woman in a corner and told her to stay there while she went and fetched her some clothes, and she did, not moving a muscle until Nat came back and told her to get dressed, which she did, no questions asked.

"It's going to take a long while before she can do anything but follow orders," Bucky commented quietly to Steve, who sat next to him.

"Let's just hope that it does not take too long," Steve answered, looking at her with crossed arms.