REMEMBER WHEN

Remember when

Marinette could close her eyes and remember the better times she'd shared with her husband.

I was young and so were you
And time stood still
and love was all we knew

When he proposed their friends and family cried tears of joy as they watched the couple begin preparations for the couple to begin a new chapter in their lives.

You were the first, so was I
We made love and then you cried
Remember when

Remember when
we vowed the vows and walked the walk
Gave our hearts, made the start, it was hard
We lived and learned, life threw curves
There was joy, there was hurt
Remember when

But she wouldn't have changed walking down the aisle for anything else in the world. Then world war 2 happened.

Remember when old ones died and new were born
And life was changed, disassembled, rearranged
We came together, fell apart
And broke each other's hearts
Remember when

People they'd known for years were sent off to war and soon her husband, James Buchanan 'Bucky ' Barnes went as well.

Remember when the sound of little feet
Was the music we danced to week to week
Brought back the love, we found trust
Vowed we'd never give it up
Remember when

Bucky never got the chance to hear from Marinette about the fast approaching addition to the Barnes family before his assignment to the 107. But when he heard from Steve about Marinette's condition as she was seven months along when Steve last saw her.

Then when he fell his last thoughts were an apology to Marinette before darkness swallowed his senses.

Remember when thirty seemed so old
Now lookin' back, it's just a steppin' stone
To where we are, where we've been
Said we'd do it all again
Remember when

Seventy years past and now he was freed from HYDRA. The first thing that he did was ask Tony to find out what happened to his wife and kid. Tony found out within an hour that Marinette had given birth to a set of twin boys named Hugo Steven Barnes and James Rolland Barnes.

Hugo had several children and grandchildren of his own. James on the other hand was another matter...he'd died from  a brain tumor when he was 23 years old three months before he was to be married.

Marinette on the other hand was still alive at an elderly home in California. Which Bucky took the first flight out to go see her.

Remember when we said when we turned gray
When the children grow up and move away
We won't be sad, we'll be glad
For all the life we've had
And we'll remember when

When he entered the room her heart monitor beeped at a constant even pace. "Bucky?" Marinette cried as tears formed in her eyes.

To Bucky she was still as beautiful as the day he'd met her. They spent the next five years catching up with one another. But soon Marinette began to fade.

Remember when

Then on a warm cloudless June night at 10:30 PM Marinette Barnes passed away silently in her sleep.

Remember when

Bucky cried for hours at her gravesite as he placed a replica of the bouquet he'd given to her at their first date onto her grave.

"Rest in peace my love " Bucky whispered before getting up to leave

Just as he left he swore that he could feel her lips on his one final time.