Chapter 6

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears.

1 Corinthians 13:4-10 (NIV)

November 20, 1985 AD

Chanyeol was not okay. And it wasn’t only because of the worry and fear he felt for Baekhyun, but also because the change in the balance was severely affecting his health. He felt nauseous and his head was throbbing like a million needles were being stabbed into it. He’d thrown up five times in the last hour and was sadly bed-bound in his bedroom as the universe continued to be in chaos outside.

There was nothing he wanted more than to go straight to Heaven and see what was happening to his Baekhyun. His heart ached to go and save his love from whatever sorrows were ripping him to shreds. But he couldn’t. His body wasn’t cooperating and his condition wouldn’t allow him to protect Baekhyun properly even if he wanted to.

“Chaeyoung, I need to know,” he begged. Tears slipped down his cheeks as he wished with everything in him to get his condition under control and seek Baekhyun. “I need to see him. See them.”

Chaeyoung looked at her brother with sadness. “I know, Yeol, but…”

“We haven’t heard anything new, have we? I don’t know what’s going on up there. What caused Baekhyun t-to” Chanyeol’s voice broke. “I just need to know if he and Hyunjin are okay.”

Chaeyoung sighed. “Let me go ask Yibo if he knows anything, yeah? Last time I asked they hadn’t been able to communicate with the rebels in Heaven.”

Chanyeol nodded. While he hated the idea of depending on others to know about Baekhyun’s well-being, it was all he could do at the moment. He was sadly not in the condition to do anything. That didn’t mean he was satisfied with the idea. There hadn’t been any updates on what was going on and no one had figured out what exactly had happened to break the balance.

Chanyeol had sent a copious amount of Demons to Earth to help keep the humans under control. It seemed like Earth was getting the after-effects of the mess in the form of natural disasters that were hitting several areas. Humans were suffering and clamoring for a miracle, but Heaven was currently an inaccessible turmoil that wasn’t answering their prayers. As such, Chanyeol took the situation into his own hands...or at least as much as his body allowed him to. And with Chaeyoung as the one to deliver his orders to the Demons so they could act accordingly. He’d also gotten Sehun to go to the In-Between to recruit Celestial Beings in training to help.

On the other hand, Yixing had taken it upon himself to try to get into contact with the angels and create an emergency plan from there, but last time Chaeyoung asked, there was no news. And that frustrated Chanyeol more than ever.

His frustrations only added to the already horrific state of his body. With every second that passed, his stress grew, and with that the pain that was twisting his organs relentlessly. All Chanyeol wanted was to cry and he had several times already, whenever Chaeyoung left him he gave himself the time to let go of some of the pain that was accumulating in his heart.