Chapter 98: Fighting Out Of The Woods

In the midst of all the confusion, Ace stood by her window side and aimed at Jade as they ran. He placed his light machine gun, focused directly to their direction. Clicking on the trigger, the golden bullet whizzed with force as if it was slow motioned. Sapphire looked back. Her eyes caught Ace pulled the trigger. About to push Jade out of the way, it strike her hard on the chest. Her blue eyes widened in bewilderment so did Ace. He pulled out the gun from the back of his pocket and shot at Ace but he escaped. As if everything was slow motioned, Sapphire placed two fingers on her chest and blankly looked.  Her chapped lips widened to the sight of blood in her hands.

Jade took her to a corner under the masquerade tree as she gasped in pain. He held her from behind, his hands wrapped around her in support as she sat, resting her bond on his.

"Fire!" He held her face in his palms.

"Jade.. "  Her eyes looked up at his, her eyebrows pulled up in unison. One could see the tears already clouding in her eyes.

"You look so terrible." A smiled formed on his lips with tears hanging at the corners of his eyes.

"What took you so long?" She smiled back and sniffed. "I was afraid, all alone."

"That's unlike you, fire. You're bold and fearless. You weren't scared to call me all sorts of names when we first met. And then, I called you bitch." Jade tried not to smile but he did. A single drop of tear rolled down Sapphire's eyes as she smiled too.

Nervously.

"Because it was you, Jade. I won't mind going through hell knowing you're by my side. If I was with you, I won't mind dying." She numbed to the feeling that overwhelmed her.

"If you had.. not met me. You would have lived a very happy life."

"I'm happy right now. You came to save me. That alone... is okay for me." She sniffed quietly.

"But I failed, fire. And you're hurt." His eyes scrolled to the left part of her chest where she was bleeding.

"You haven't failed, My Mr. CEO. You wouldn't fail or give up just yet. It's unlike you, Jade. It's not yet over..."

"Our contract would end tomorrow and there's still a lot we haven't done together." He let the tears flow freely down his face. It's the first time Jade cried in the last 23 years.

"Tomorrow would be our last day. But..  I want you to know that, you mean more to me every single day." Her lips stammered to the words as if it were her last.

"There's something I need to tell you Sapphire. I lov-" Jade raised his eyes to hers and noticed her eyes were closed.

"No! S.. sapphire!" He tried to wake her up but a bullet whirred fast and hit him on the shoulder.

"No,  Fire! You can't do this to me!" His glassy eyes caught the sight, as it begin to pool in the chest cavity.

He fell down back as Ace's gang rushed towards him. Jade brought out the gun and shot at them but then, he realized that the gun was empty. There weren't any bullets left in it. He threw the empty gun at them and carried Sapphire's body. His eyes went bloodshot as they fired after him but he ran to where his car was parked outside, just by the side of the road.

Ace focused his light machine gun at Jade once again. To probably shoot his right leg this time. But luckily, Jade threw Sapphire into the passenger seat and kicked the car before to he bullet went off into the air, hitting some of his men.

"Shiiittt!" He clamoured and ran downstairs immediately.

"Go after him guys! He mustn't escape!" Ace instructed some of his men that took their black Yakuza and S-class Mercedes while others turned on the engines of their power bikes after Jade. There were to hunt him down in whatever way possible. But not to kill him, of course.

The cloth tied to Jade's leg had loosen. It paid so hard that her he couldn't lift a muscle in his left leg. Looking back at Sapphire, she wasn't even breathing. With the hope that she might still be able to make it till they get to the hospital, Jade heard a bullet hit the side mirror of his black Range Rover sport jeep. The men with power bikes were faster. They seemed to be an expert in this, especially with their thick black helmet, going them the wasp bee's vibe.

He pressed his foot down the accelerator and zoomed off faster, out of the woods. The guys were still after him. The bikers drove faster and rained bullets on Jade's  tinted side windows. And also, the rear window at the back of his jeep. It cracked up and made bullet scratches but didn't break. Luckily, it was bullet proofed glasses. Jade drive faster until suddenly, his sight went blurry. He forced himself to continue moving, until his jeep hit a huge tree by the side of the road. Jade lost concerned as his car broke down. Smoke puffed out  from the indicator and his headlights were broken.

Others stopped immediately to check on him. Peeping through the window his head was on the car horn while his hands were still holding the steering wheel, firmly. About to open the car's door, a striking bullet buzzed through the guy's helmet. In a blink of an eye, he dropped down dead. Others looked at the direction, there was a battalion of soldiers driving right in front of them. About to turn back, they started shooting against them, out of which, a couple dropped down dead while the rest led the way to Ace's mansion. With thunderous shootings, some lost their lives in the process.

The soldiers drove in, throwing tons of tear gasses and rambling bullets towards the direction of the mafia mansion. Shootings went off in the air, the soldiers drove into Ace's mansion. In the defense of Ace, Dylan got shot. So we're the others beside him. Ace got arrested with ten others. It's obvious that he'd been running a weak mafia group after all.

Meanwhile, two ambulances came for Jade and Sapphire as they rushed them to the hospital. Although, Jade was still unconscious, his mind was on Sapphire. 'What if... What if she I lost her, forever? What I'd she doesn't make it?'

***

[Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota.]

The loud noise of 'Waaaaaahhhhh! Waaaaaahhhhh!!' Made everyone turned to their direction and give way.

The siren stopped immediately the ambulances parked. Not to disturb other patients within the premises. Immediately they drove into the hospital, a couple of doctors and nurses rushed out to them.

Pulling the matal-plastic stretcher to the emergency rooms, Jade was taken into the male word while Sapphire was taken into the female ward for immediate treatment. Jade got injected with a kind of sedative. A lot of pain clouded in  his eyes while his whole his whole body weakened, gradually to it's reaction. Jade passed out and the surgeons started on him.

So was Sapphire.

On the surgery bed, there was a pool of blood that formed under her. Thick, dark, dense blood pooled over her slim body. The pink doll-like dress on her had turned soaking-red due to the bleeding. The smell of blood and broccoli could be perceived in the emergency room. The surgery lights went on as the doctors and a couple of cardiologist performed full evaluation on her.

Meanwhile, the doctors pulled off her own and put on a blue surgery gown on her body. The bullet went through the left ventricle of her heart. It took a while when they sighted the 25 ACP bullet. Removing it gradually, it was embedded in the wall but it slowly expanded, making her tissue damage. In the low-velocity of the bullet, it expanded leaving a much bigger hole in her heart.

 In the low-velocity of the bullet, it expanded leaving a much bigger hole in her heart

***

Don't forget to vote, comment and share.