Chapter One

CHAPTER ONE

                Gabby had been waiting forever for Alex and company to finally arrive. She'd been at the airport from five in the morning to two in the afternoon the day before thinking their plane landed that day. Nope. The flight had been cancelled and due to Alex's forgetfulness, she wasted a whole day at the airport.

                "Did you miss me?" A familiar voice asked in her ear.

                When she turned around, she was lifted off her feet and spun a few times. This was definitely her Alex and she was happy to see him again. The feeling was short-lived, however, because she remembered the eternal wait she'd endured just the day before.

                "You fuck nugget! Don't you know how to call and tell someone the plan?" she asked.

                "I said I was sorry this morning! I had to make so many other phone calls and the service was patchy in Chicago. Sue me."

                Gabby ignored his explanation and looked over his shoulder for the band mates that should have been there. "Where the hell are your guys?"

                "Jack said something about his mom, Rian found Cassadee back there somewhere, and Zack is getting food for the ride home."

                This bummed her out. She was secretly dying to see Jack again, but had no way of expressing it to Alex. He was like a big brother to her-protective, judgmental, and quick to poke fun. While this was frustrating, it kept the peace nonetheless.

                "So, do we stay or do we go?" Gabby jingled her keys in her hands to let him know that she was desperate to leave.

                "We need to drive Jack to my parents' house. His car is there. Rian has his girl and no one gives a shit about Zack."

                "Well where do we start looking? I want to go back to your parents' house and watch movies."

                Alex tugged at a pink section of his hair in thought. "Probably anywhere little kids are."

                "Gift shop," Gabby said with conviction.

                They strolled through Baltimore Airport listening to troubled travelers and sharing stories of their experiences while apart.

                "Yeah, so there was this black thing on the sidewalk and Jack bent down to see what it was and..." Alex trailed off as they approached the gift shop.

                They spotted Jack playing with the various shot glasses on display. He had one on each finger and he was clicking them together with fascination plastered on his face. Gabby knew that this was typical Jack behavior. That's why when he shouted "MOM?" she seemed less put off than the shoppers.

                "Jack, stand up and let's go home." Alex walked over to the amused man-child and grabbed some of the glasses.

                "I called my mom and then I found this." Jack held up his one hand which still had every finger covered.

                "Tell me, do you still sit at the kid's table for Thanksgiving?" Gabby asked, standing beside Jack.

                "Gabra-Cadabra!" he squealed.

                "He stood up quickly, somehow managing to set the remaining glasses on the shelves like a ninja, and pulled Gabby into an awkwardly positioned hug. She didn't mind because his cologne smelled oh-so wonderful to her.