Chapter 18: Goodbyes And Hellos

Start from the beginning

Natasha pressed her lips together, trying not to laugh out loud. ''Besides, if it can work out with the five of us, you know, there may be some hope for the Avengers.'' Surprised, Katya faced her. This was the first time she had been able to say that word in years. Reuniting with this family has healed her enough to say it. ''Little bit.''

''Okay, well, if you're leaving, then I guess you should take this. I know how much you like it,'' Yelena said playfully, undoing the clasps and zipper on her vest and pulling it off her shoulders.

With a beaming but also kinda embarrassed smile, Natasha wandered up to her, playfully snatching it out of her hands like she was annoyed. ''Shucks.'' She tried to get her to shut up, but it only made Yelena laugh. 

''It does have a lot of pockets,'' the blonde reminded her with a smug smile.

''Very handy pockets, yeah,'' Natasha gave in. The playfulness drained from the conversation when she took the small disk with Dreykov's database out of her pocket, handing it over, together with the last vial of antidote. ''He had Widows implanted all over the world. Melina will need to copy the formula, but you should be the one to tell them it's over.''

All their heads whipped around when a jet landed very close by. Katya feared it was one of Ross', but recognized it as a similar one to the jet she flew down ten minutes prior. 

Dozens of Widows poured out, the ones from the office, she recognized some. They came back for them, for Yelena. And she broke away from the group to greet them. But Katya wasn't about to let that happen so easily.

''Lena,'' she called after her, picking up the pace to catch up. Yelena was just in time to turn around and catch the hug Katya pulled her in, tugging her closely against her, pushing her nose into her neck.

The second hug today, what was going on with them?

After the initial surprise wore off, Yelena hugged her back. Maybe not as tightly, but the sencerity and emotion was there, resting her chin on Katya's shoulder. Neither relaxed fully because Ross came closer by the second, but it felt good to get a proper goodbye.  

''I won't miss you at all,'' Yelena muttered after a moment, tapping into Katya's very last bit of self-control not to burst out laughing and ruin this. She could never be serious, could she?

Katya tightened the hug, her smile full of nostalgia and sadness. She wasn't ready to say goodbye to this adorable and funny human being yet. ''Won't miss you either. To be honest, I find you annoying.''

''Same,'' Yelena mumbled back. ''I only tolerated you because Natasha apparently likes you?''

Katya finally laughed. She grabbed Yelena's shoulders to gently push her back, locking their eyes. Yelena's shone in humor, and although Katya's were too, her words were as serious as ever. ''Take care of yourself.'' 

''You too,'' Yelena replied. Although she hadn't necessarily liked Katya's presence in the beginning - or pretended to - she had grown to like her quickly. And this adventure brought them closer together than anything could. 

After all, Katya was the story Yelena liked better for Natasha than the one she came up with herself, and those were high standards.

''If you need us, just give us a call. I promise we'll be there.'' This was goodbye, but not for long hopefully.

Yelena smiled in gratitude. People hadn't been there for her ever before. So this meant a lot. ''Thank you, Katya.''

Katya's smile widened. ''Finally got it right,'' she teased, dropping her hands from Yelena's shoulders and slightly stepping back. She had to let her go at some point.