Prologue.

I ran through the halls of Erebor as I felt the tears roll down my cheeks. Kids can be so cruel I thought to myself. My vision was blurred by the tears, so I could not really tell where I was going. I just knew I had to get away from them. I had just finished my lessons for the day when the teasing began.

It was the same as every day. 'Your ugly!', 'where is your beard?', 'no one will ever think your beautiful!', 'no dwarf will ever love you!', they would yell at me. It wasn't just the other girl dwarflings either it was also the boys in our classes. I usually didn't say a word back to them I would just cry and run away. Then they would call me a baby and a coward.

You see I'm not like the other dwarfling girls, who all have beards like the boys. Though theirs are different from male beards of course. The women in my family don't have beards. We only have long silky sideburns. So we are considered outcasts and ugly by the other dwarves in the kingdom. My two little sisters usually get teased also, but they are younger and don't go go lessons yet. So they don't get it as bad as me.

They all laugh and point at my face while calling me names. No one stands up for me unless the teasing is done in front of my parents. But it usually doesn't happen then anyways. For my father is a lord on King Thrór's court and they would get in trouble.

The only dwarves my own age that are nice to me and don't make fun of me are King Thrór's grandsons Thorin and Frerin. Thorin has been my best friend since we were little. I am only two years younger then him and I am three years older then Frerin.

I continue running down the hall, vision half blurred. I remember I was heading for my families' chambers, but with my vision blurred I don't know where I am. Finally I stop and sit on a wide a window sill and look out of the window. I wipe the tears away from my cheeks with the sleeve of my dress and let out a long loud sigh.

I am too busy looking out the window at the lake that I don't hear his front steps come up behind me. He stops as he steps up to me and lets out a sigh. He can see that I've been crying again.

"They've been teasing you again haven't they?" His deep voice asks me.

I just nod my head without turning to look at him. "Yes," I barely can choke out.

I hear Thorin let out another sigh as I feel his hand under my smooth chin. My tears begin flooding down my cheeks again as he turns my head.

"Look at me Freya!" He almost yells at me.

I tilt my head up forcing myself to look at his beautiful sapphire blue eyes.

"Don't listen to them. They know nothing," he says to me calmly.

I choke back the tears as I try and talk, "they are right no one will ever find me beautiful." I finally cry out. I don't know why I wasn't given a beard like the other girls.

"That is not true Freya," Thorin says to me as he wipes my tears away.

"Who would ever find a beardless girl dwarf beautiful Thorin?" I ask him as I look at him through my tear filled eyes.

"I do Freya. I think you are very beautiful. Much more beautiful then those mean girls," Thorin says to me.

I was shocked, it was the first time anyone had ever called me beautiful. Other then my own parents of course. What he did next shocked me even more.

He gently pulled me up onto my feet and kissed me. It was a slow, soft, and sweet kiss.

The King's grandson the prince had just kissed me.