Chapter 2

-I'm not quite happy with this, but well, it's alright. I hope you all like it though-

It was overwhelming being always being noticed by everyone, and having so much attention. That is why some days put on his cloak and walked around the school, sometimes he even put on disillusionment charms. His cloak was much easier than the charms, so he didn't do them often.

"Could I have a moment Granger, and Weasley?" Malfoy's voice interrupted his thoughts. Harry whipped his head towards the sound. He let out a soft breath as he finally felt normal. The need to find what was missing had dissipated.

Harry took a silent step back and stayed quote as he looked at Malfoy. Draco was standing in the middle of the hallway looking at his friends. Harry noticed how he clasped and unclasped his hands. Malfoy's left hand reached upwards towards his hair before he forced it back down. He took a deep breath in.

"Yes Malfoy?" Hermione asked cautiously.

"I'm here to apologize. I know our past is filled with complications. I regret my actions towards both of you. My prejudices blinded me from my own horrible actions. I should have never called you a mudblood or any other slurs Granger. I see now how awful my actions and words were, I wish I could take them back. I hope I can somehow make it up to you and even earn your forgiveness." Malfoy looked directly at Hermione as he said it, holding his head up high, even while he admitted to being wrong.

Harry did his best to keep quiet, staring at the three of them. Hermione's expression was puzzled, for once she didn't have something to say.

Suddenly Ron snorted. "You still haven't apologised, Malfoy. It's not too hard, you just have to say "I'm sorry". I was a bloody horrible git and will never deserve anything good."

"I- You're right Weasley. I'm sorry, and I can never express how much I regret how my actions have led me here. I'm sorry for all the harm I've caused both of you and for the harm I tried to cause. I don't deserve your forgiveness but I hope someday I can come close to earning it." It was apparent that Draco was being sincere, he meant each word, letting go of his pride.

He then turned to Ron, "Weasley, I am sorry for the many insults I've made about your family and your..."

Ron narrowed his eyes "What are you trying to say Malfoy?"

"You would know if you let me finish, you lowli-." Malfoy paused and took a breath.

"As I was saying, I'm sorry for the horrible comments I've made about your family and your economic status. Your family is perfectly respectable and I now know that, and ofcourse your economic status doesn't dictate anything about you and your household. My views were wrong, and I'll admit it." Malfoy had pursed his lips. While his words sounded sincere, it was obvious that he would rather be anywhere right now, rather than apologizing to the people he had relentlessly bullied since first year.

"Oh come off it you arse. We all know you're only doing this because your side lost the war. You don't mean it!" Ron blurted, the tips of his ears going red. Harry wondered if he should step in, but that would probably make the situation worse. He and Malfoy didn't quite get along well either.

"Ron stop." Hermione said firmly, putting a hand on his arm. She then turned to Malfoy. "I'm not sure if I believe you Malfoy. But that doesn't matter, if you meant what you just said, we shouldn't have a problem with you anymore. The war had enough hatred and animosity to last several lifetimes, and I would prefer to put it behind me. I accept your apology, but you'll have to prove your perspective with your actions too. I don't have any objections to moving on from our pasts" Hermione said, making it obvious why she was the smart one in the trio.

Draco nodded, "Thank you Granger". Peculiarly, he then did something Harry had ever rarely seen. Malfoy smiled, nervously perhaps, but it still made his whole face light up. Harry shook his head, trying to concentrate on what Malfoy was saying.

"But, I hope you both know, this apology hasn't been to become your friend or anything. I just hope we won't be enemies anymore. But maybe, we can get along, Granger, I respect your intellect." Harry had never imagined that Malfoy would ever call Hermione intelligent, but here they were.

"I'll give you a chance, mostly because I'm a good person, unlike you, and I can move on from the past. But don't step a toe out of line Malfoy, we all know you're still a git." Ron scoffed.

In all honesty, Harry was surprised, Ron had always been quick to anger and late to see reason. Maybe he was changing, becoming more mature in a way. This was a much better response than Harry thought Ron would have had.

Malfoy nodded, "I don't need to prove myself to you Weasley" But his response was restrained, with no ill intent behind it. He looked almost tired.

"Ok then Granger, Weasley. This has been a productive conversation by all means. I do need to go find my dorm now, I'll see you both later."

"Ok Malfoy good luck." Hermoine said.

"I would wish luck to whichever unfortunate bloke who'll end up being Malfoy's roommate." Ron joked.

"Oh come on Ron, wasn't the whole point of the last ten minutes to not be gits to each other?" Hermione reasoned.

"No it's fine Granger. It would be like an apocalypse if Weasley and I stopped insulting each other, and I'm sure we can continue to do that without acting like children" Malfoy said.

"Hey! Look, we already agree on something. This shouldn't be too bad." Ron said, smiling a bit.

Harry was conflicted, Malfoy didn't mean everything he had just said right? That would be very weird. Maybe it was all a trick, a plan to do... something. Malfoy had always been a horrible person, why would he change now. With that reasoning Harry decided to follow Malfoy under his invisibility cloak.