"Yeah, guess I did, didn't I" you cleared your throat "Well, thanks nonetheless"

Harry emerged with your trolley and you followed him to the car "Well it's been nice seeing you again, Y/N! Drive safe!"

"You too, and thanks!"

The girl shut the front door leaving you and Harry in the driveway, him loading your trolley into your truck

"So what did you do yesterday when you weren't, in fact, visiting with your parents?" he asked, not looking at you while he busied himself unnecessarily with your luggage

"What does it matter?" you shrugged. You got slightly defensive, not being used to anyone giving you the third degree anymore

After a long moment, he finally turned and looked at you properly, shutting the truck "You really running off on me like this?" his voice quiet and a bit apprehensive

"I'm not running off" you scoffed "I really need to be getting back. Got work tomorrow"

"That's not what I meant and you know it"

You looked at him closely then, this was really bothering him "And what would you have had me do, Harry? Hide in your bedroom indefinitely?" you whisper-shouted

"No" he shoved his hands into his pockets "I was going to drive Emily to her grandparents', she visits with them for a couple of days on her winter breaks..."

You didn't even know what that had to do with you "Yeah, well... I still got work tomorrow and it's already gonna be heavy traffic leaving so late"

He searched your eyes, his gaze shifting from one to the other back and forth until he finally took a few steps backwards "Drive safe, Y/N"

You nodded, averting your eyes and quickly getting in the car. You pulled out of the driveway, not resisting not looking at him just before you drove off, his expression unreadable, but looking into your rearview mirror you could see him looking after you until your car took a turn and his house was no longer in vision.

*

After having smoked for the entirety of your short trip home, getting back to your "other" home, you decided to start all over again and quit cold turkey this time around. It wasn't going as well though. Not even a full week in and you were going absolutely mental.

Realistically, you knew this was not the only reason for why you were feeling absolutely miserable.

You'd transferred your father the money to pay off your car loan, and made sure to tell your mother to check his balance but she barely acknowledged your text.

You were still so mad at them for not even giving you a call. Up until Emily mentioned your brother telling her that your parents were mad at you for not making it home for Christmas, you'd honestly thought they'd forgotten all about you.

But no, of course they were the ones that were mad. After not having even told you not to bother going to the airport to pick up your brother who they knew wasn't even coming! What if something had happened to you on the way? What if there'd been an accident? There were literally endless reasons why you could've not made it home that Christmas Eve.

When were you going to get it into your head? They didn't care. Nobody cared. Nobody.

The fact that you were about to spend New Year's alone was testament to that. You'd never felt more alone in your life. All your friends had plans, everybody was out celebrating but you flat out refused all of their invitations to various parties.

You were going to be throwing your own party. A pity party.

You made sure to stack up on booze and ibuprofen. The rest was superfluous. The only thing you were regretting was not having gotten any cigarettes. Because you had a feeling you'd be needing them soon. It was all getting a bit too much.