𝐗𝐗.

CHAPTER I9

CHAPTER I9

Let Go

     When they arrived at Wylan's new mansion, Brynn knew she could get used to the luxurious living. But the huge house couldn't diminish her anxiety at waiting for the others.

She paced in the foyer, her arms wrapped around herself in an attempt to give herself some comfort. It was about an hour after night fell when a big bottleboat slid up to the dock at Van Eck's boathouse.

"They made it!" Wylan whooped.

Brynn released a breath of relief as Jesper grabbed a lantern and the champagne they'd been chilling. They bounded across the garden, tore open the door, and pranced into the boathouse. Their greetings died on their lips.

Inej and Rotty were helping Kuwei from the bottleboat. Though he looked rumpled and shaky, and his shirt hung open to reveal a chest spattered with pig's blood, he was in one piece. Jesper's father sat in the boat, shoulders slumped, looking wearier than he'd ever looked before. When he saw Jesper, he rose slowly and climbed onto the dock. He held Jesper tightly, whispering affirmations, though whether they were for Jesper or himself, Brynn didn't know.

Nina remained in the boat, resting her head on Matthias' chest, unmoving as if they were frozen in time, wishing for one more moment together. Sasha was at one end of the boat, her knees drawn up close to her chest, shivering. Her eyes were on Matthias' ashen face.

Brynn had never been very close with Matthias. He was a drüskelle and she was a Grisha. Naturally, they were on opposite sides of this war. But they both had changed.

Matthias loved Nina. Nina loved Matthias. And that was all Brynn needed to know. It wouldn't erase the Grisha he'd caught and sent to their deaths, the many years he had spent hating her people for no reason other than he had been told to. But this was an ending Brynn wouldn't have wished for Matthias, no matter what he'd done in the past. Sometimes, forgiveness is a better virtue than wishing for vengeance.

Inej's face was tearstained and she stepped back. She folded into a hug offered by Brynn, and the Kaelish girl could feel tears brimming in her own eyes.

"How?" Kaz asked quietly.

"We still don't know," murmured Inej, fresh tears gathering in Inej's eyes.

Wylan retrieved a blanket from the house and they spread it in the corner of the boathouse, then Jesper and Rotty helped lift Matthias' massive body out of the boat. Brynn had to close her eyes for this part. They were clumsy, awkward. The Fjerdan would've hated that.

They finally laid him down on the blanket. Sasha climbed out of the boat after them and headed right for Brynn. She just stood there, watching as Nina sat next to Matthias, his hand clutched in hers. Then, Sasha turned to Brynn and wrapped her arms around her older sister, silent sobs wrecking through her body.