𝐈𝐗.

CHAPTER 9

CHAPTER 9

Sail

     It was hard to think of anything other than Brynn. They all took turns, comforting her and trying to get her to eat something. Sasha often sang their song together, and there was no missing how everyone else stopped what they were doing to listen. It made her a little uncomfortable, but Brynn always insisted on hearing it.

Sasha only barely listened to Kaz as he told them of his plans, too worried about her sister to think about anything else. Something about sugar silos, the chemical weevil she'd helped create, and then getting much more money than they'd originally been promised by Van Eck. When Nina spoke up about getting the Grisha out of Ketterdam, Brynn's eyes fluttered open, her hand waving to get the attention of someone, groaning softly.

Before anyone else could react, Inej was by Brynn's side. Brynn waited until Inej's ear was inches from her ear before speaking quietly, so as for only the Suli girl to hear. After a moment, Inej stood up, meeting Kaz's gaze.

"Brynn agrees with Nina and I."

"About what exactly?" Kaz asked.

"Getting the Grisha out of Ketterdam," answered Inej. "She says that they all should have a chance at a better life." She paused, before looking at Sasha. "And that you should go with them, too."

Sasha frowned. "What? Why?"

Brynn raised her hand again and Inej listened carefully, standing after a minute. "Brynn wants you to enjoy your life, Sasha."

"Brynn, I don't want to go to Ravka," argued Sasha. "Believe it or not, I actually like Ketterdam."

Jesper raised his eyebrows. "You like Ketterdam? You?"

Sasha ignored him. "And don't tell me that you're not gonna be around for much longer, because I don't want to hear it. I'm staying here and you're staying alive."

Again, Inej kneeled down to listen to Brynn. The girl stared at Brynn. "You were listening to that?"

Brynn nodded, a pained smile on her face. She whispered something more, then nodded at the rest of the group. Inej pursed her lips.

"I don't need a net," she said. "A Ghafa never performs with a net."

"Does a Ghafa frequently perform twenty stories above cobblestones under pressure?" asked Nina.

"I want you to have a net," insisted Brynn, her voice croaky as if she hadn't used it in years.

Inej frowned. "I don't need a net," she repeated.

Brynn grabbed her hand, eyes pleading. "I just want you to be careful. Please?"

"Fine," Inej said after a moment of silence. "But you need to rest." Brynn rolled her eyes, hand dropping back to the ground. "I'm serious! You've been held prisoner for a week and now your body is wearing itself out from the parem. You should at least try to eat something."