𝐗𝐈𝐕.

CHAPTER I4

CHAPTER I4

Totally Worrying

     Sasha had never seen someone so bloodied and banged up when Kaz came back from the Slat. Though, granted, she'd never seen anyone in an actual fistfight before.

As soon as the door swung open, Brynn's eyes fluttered open and she took a deep breath, her interest piqued. She was still laying down on the couch, but Sasha had gotten her to keep down a little bit of food soon after Kaz had left. She sat up straight, eyes wide, when Kaz limped into the room.

"What happ—" Before she finished, she groaned, clutched her side, and fell back down on the sofa. Nina sighed at her.

"I told you not to move," she said. "You'll hurt yourself."

"Yeah, be careful or Mother Nina will make sure you get back to full health," grinned Jesper.

Nina scowled and shoved him. "Be careful or I'll tear the spine from your body."

Jesper took a cautious step away from her, but Brynn's eyes never left Kaz, until he disappeared into the bathroom. Then she leaned back into the couch, letting out a pained breath.

"Someone please force Kaz to explain what happened," she croaked.

"I would, but I don't think I want to force a man covered in blood that I'm not completely sure is his to do anything," said Sasha.

Matthias shook his head in something between admiration and disbelief. "How many lives do you have, demjin?"

"One more, I hope."

Brynn groaned again. "Kaz, talk. Now."

"It went about as well as expected. That's all you need to know. Keep working with Colm."

"What is wrong with him?" grumbled Nina as she trudged back into the sitting room.

"Same thing that's always wrong with him," said Jesper. "He's Kaz Brekker."

Brynn rolled her eyes. "Yeah, the curse of Ketterdam."

"I heard that."

"Wasn't trying to keep it a secret."

Sasha looked from Kaz in the bathroom and Brynn on the sofa suspiciously. Something had changed between the two since Kaz left for the Slat, but she just couldn't tell what. And whether it was a good change or a bad change, Sasha didn't know.

Nina grabbed a waffle from the table and shoved it at Brynn. "Eat," she demanded. "You look awful."

"Gee, thanks," muttered the girl. "But I'm good."

"Eat or I'll shove it down your throat," Kaz said from the bathroom. Sasha grimaced at the lovely picture of Kaz shoving a waffle into Brynn's mouth that had appeared in her mind.