💙Out In The Streets (Hyunsung)

This one is based on Out In The Streets by The Shangri-las. The same artists as Leader of the Pack (Go Slow)! I like some of their songs, and this one, for some reason, caught my attention, and I thought it might be fun to write about!

Also, I apologize for the lack of updates recently. School started and things happened that took my time away from writing, but here is another story!

------

It was heartbreaking, to say the least, for Jisung to see what happened to his boyfriend. He hadn't realized it until just now as he was sitting across the table from the elder that he had completely changed his life. What hurt the most was, he knew that Hyunjin changed it for him. Even if Hyunjin didn't want to, he did it for Jisung.

He cut his hair. He dressed neatly. He got a stable job. He did all of it for Jisung. But Jisung could see the pain that Hyunjin was hiding from him. He knew that Hyunjin didn't want to do any of that.

When Jisung first met Hyunjin, he was the exact opposite. He was the typical rugged bad boy. Part of a gang, dressed in ill-fitting clothes with long hair, part of a band. All the typical "bad boy" traits you could think of, that was Hyunjin. That's not to say that he was a bad boy. He just acted like it. That's how he grew up.

Sure, he had his parents, but they were always busy working, so he found a life on the streets. He joined a gang, and they became his second family. Well, that's what Hyunjin told Jisung, but once he explained everything that happened between them, Jisung knew that it wasn't much of a gang as much as just a group of friends with a huge age range that would meet up on the corner of a couple streets. They didn't do anything that gangs did. They just hung out together. They cared about him, and they made sure that he did well in school and that he stayed safe, but that was the most gang-related thing they did besides loitering around a few cafes.

But he didn't do that anymore. He didn't hang out with them anymore. He spent all his time either at his job or with Jisung. That's not to say Jisung was mad about it. He wasn't. He loved to spend time with Hyunjin. That was the highlight of his day. Seeing the man that he was proud to call his boyfriend. That was the peak of his day.

"What're you thinking about?" Hyunjin asked, looking at Jisung with endearing eyes, trying to figure out what made the boy go lost in thought.

Jisung shook his head slightly to bring himself back. "Oh... um. Nothing important." He looked up at Hyunjin and gave him a small smile, trying to prove his statement true.

"Are you sure? You looked pretty caught up in it," Hyunjin commented. He poked around on his plate in front of him, waiting for Jisung to answer.

"Yeah. It's nothing," Jisung explained. He thought about whether he wanted to explain to Hyunjin his thoughts or if he wanted to keep them to himself. He didn't want to tell Hyunjin straight up that he changed. That would not have been well received. But he felt bad not saying anything. "Um, Hyunjin?"

"Yeah?"

Jisung cleared his throat lightly before continuing to ask his question. "Why don't you hang out with Chan and all them anymore? You've been pretty distant with them it seems like."

Hyunjin shrugged, not thinking that the question was all that serious. "I don't know. I don't really feel like it. I don't need to. With work and you, I don't see the point."

Jisung could tell by how Hyunjin didn't look up from his plate that what he said was a lie. Maybe not a complete lie, but some of it was. "Don't you miss them? I mean, they were your best friends before you met me."

"Yeah, before. But now I have you. What more do I need than you?"

Jisung knew that Hyunjin meant well, but he couldn't help but feel slightly upset, mostly just from his wording. "You still need your friends. You shouldn't rely just on me and work to keep you busy."

And now it was Hyunjin's turn to get upset. He understood what Jisung was saying, and maybe he was right. But wanted to be the best boyfriend he could for Jisung. All he wanted was Jisung's love and acceptance. Yes, he missed his old life, but if it meant pleasing Jisung, he would do it. "Right. I know. And I shouldn't. But it's been too long. I can't go back to them."

He wanted to add "even if I wanted to" at the end, but that would've been too much of a lie. He wanted to. He wanted to so bad. He missed being in a band. He missed hanging out with Chan and Minho and Changbin and all the others. He missed talking to them having their support. He missed all of it.

But that wasn't his life anymore. He grew up and out of his old ways, and he was too far gone to go back. He looked over to Jisung, seeing his sad eyes. "Let's not think about that right now, okay?" Hyunjin requested, placing his hand on top of Jisung's from across the table. "This was meant to be a nice dinner date with the man I love like no other. Let's continue that, shall we?"

Jisung nodded in agreement. "Okay..."

They continued to eat in silence, both of them now thinking of Hyunjin's past nonstop. Despite being asked not to, neither of them could help it. It was inevitable. They both knew what the other was thinking but said nothing of it.

Once they finished, Hyunjin paid the bill, and they were on their way home. Hyunjin decided it was best that he stayed the night with Jisung since it was part of his plans. It wasn't that there was anything specific that he had in mind, but he wanted to continue to be in the younger's presence. That was until Jisung brought up the long-forgotten topic once more.

"Okay, I know you said you didn't want to talk about it, but I can't help but ask. I'm sorry for bringing it up again, but I just wanna know-"

Hyunjin cut him off. "You're right. I don't want to talk about it. So don't."

He wasn't speaking in his normal voice. Jisung knew he was being completely serious and wasn't going to answer whatever it was he was going to ask. He stayed silent and gazed over at Hyunjin, scared to open his mouth. He could see just how tense Hyunjin was- his knuckles white as they gripped the steering wheel like it was his lifeline, his eyes focused on the road, not shifting to look at anything else, his shoulders stiff as a rock.

Jisung turned back in his seat to face forward, not wanting to say anything else to piss Hyunjin off anymore. It was supposed to be a fun night for the two of them, and he had to ruin it. Why did he have to go peeping into Hyunjin's past like? He knew the elder didn't like it, yet he still did it.

Hyunjin pressed the knob on the stereo, turning the radio on to fill the silence that was left between the couple. After tuning the radio to find a station that he didn't hate, he continued the drive back to Jisung's home.

Jisung wasn't a fan of the silence between them and wanted to say something to break the awkwardness. "Um," he started. It was quiet and almost barely audible above the music, but it was loud enough for Hyunjin to hear. He slightly turned his head toward Jisung, keeping his eyes on the road. "What do you want to do...? When we get back to my place?"

"We can watch a movie," Hyunjin suggested. He sounded like he hadn't just scolded Jisung three minutes earlier. Maybe Jisung was overthinking the whole situation and took his words a little too seriously. Hyunjin most likely didn't mean for it to be as harsh as it sounded.

"Okay. That works," Jisung nodded.

The rest of the ride to Jisung's apartment was made in silence besides the music on the radio playing softly in the background. Once they arrived, they did just as Hyunjin suggested earlier. They curled together on the couch and binged movie after movie after movie until they fell asleep in each other's arms. That wasn't before Jisung had apologized thousands of times for bringing up Hyunjin's past, and Hyunjin reassuring him that it was fine.