3

Anubis

"Are you sure this is where you live?" Maxim asked as we got to my house.

"Yeah, um, thanks for taking me home" I handed him the turtle plush.

"My sister gave this to you"

"My parents will throw it out if they see me with it. See you tomorrow" I waved walking over some boards going into my house.

"Who the hell was that?" My dad slapped my face.

"A-a classmate who I had to do a project with" I answered trying to not show any pain.

"You mean a fucking hero?"

"It's a villain and hero assignment sir"

"You are not allowed to be around him, do I make myself clear?" He raised his hand

"Crystal clear sir, I'm sorry" I flinched.

My dad shoved me to the ground and walked over me to sit on the couch. I got up from the floor and went into my room.

Maxim's house was so much better, everyone was nice to me even though I'm a villain, they had nice bedrooms and a nice bathroom. They had food and everything there was just perfect.

The only thing that I still don't understand is why they don't even look the same. And I don't know how Maxim got me to confess to him about the crackers, and I don't know how he made me eat all of the food. When he got more dominant his eyes and aura of him were just different than other hero's.

I looked up at the ceiling as dust started to fall and the wood started to creek. Now this is normal but at the same time it's not. I quickly grabbed my bag and ran out of my room as soon as the ceiling fell. Holy shit I was about to die.

"What the fuck did you do" My mom came over to me.

"The ceiling just broke, I was about to do my homework till I saw the dust and the wood was creaking loudly" I told her.

"You lying pig, you destroyed my fucking house, get out now"

"But I'm not ly-"

"NOW" she pulled my hair.

I got out of her grip and ran out of the house tripping on some wood. What am I supposed to do now? It's the middle of the night and it's dark. I held onto my bag starting to cry walking to the school. At least I know where I would be.

"Anubis? Sweetheart what are you doing out here? It's passed two in the morning and it's pouring down rain." A woman's voice called out making me flinch

I stopped as headlights came from behind me. I looked over and saw Maxim's mom. I ran up to her car crying.

"Get in hun, did you get lost going home?" She unlocked the door.

"I don't remember the address or how the house looks like" I lied to her getting in the car.

"It's okay, you can stay the night at our house and we can look for your house after school alright?"

I nodded and she started to drive after I put my seatbelt on. I of course struggled with it at first because of my tears and never actually using them before.

Not that long after we got to her home and she parked in the driveway.

We got out of the car and I noticed that one light is on and it's Maxim's room. I can tell because of the blue tint.

She took me inside and she turned on the light.

"We have a spare room that you can use, and don't worry about putting the blankets back on, I'll take care of that when you go to school" she brought me upstairs.

We got to the spare room and it's a nice looking room. The walls are a nice white and the floors are wood with a black circled carpet in the middle.

"Sleep well Anubis" she gave me a hug then left closing the door.

I put my bag by the door and went to the bed plopping down on it. It's so warm and cozy I love it.

"What a loser, you can't do anything right can you?"

"How about you do everyone a favor and kill yourself"

"You're just a waste of space"

I sat up from the bed sweating. Stupid fucking nightmares. I looked over at the clock on the night stand and it read 3:30am. At least I got some sleep.

Thunder started to roar with some lightning making me jump. Damn it I hate storms. I slipped out of bed and quietly walked to the bathroom.

"Anubis?" Maxim's voice came from behind me making me jump. "What are you doing? Did you break in?"

I shook my head no even though he probably couldn't see me. Lighting struck and I quickly grabbed onto him.

"Maxim" his sister came out of her room with tears.

"It's alright Harper, I woke up to it too" Maxim whispered letting me go to hug his sister.

I jumped at another strike and I was about to grab on to Maxim again but all of his attention is on Harper. Tears started to come out of my eyes again so I went into the bathroom crying. He can't see me like this. What kind of villain gets scared of storms?

I turned on the lights and looked through the drawers. There was a thing of razor blades and I grabbed a clean one. I sat on the floor pulling my sleeves up and started to make my mental pain go away.

This has been my only escape since I was 9.

"Where did Anubis go?" I heard Maxim's mom.

"Wait, he didn't break in?" Maxim asked.

"No, I saw him on the road lost and crying, he doesn't remember where he lived so I brought him here"

"Mom, you got tricked, he does know where he lives, I took him home at 12" I heard Maxim's anger.

I got up from the floor and flushed the toilet to seem like I went to the bathroom. I washed off the blade and slipped it into my pocket and I pulled my sleeves back down before exiting the bathroom.

"Why did you lie" Maxim pushed me against the wall.

"I-I didn't-"

"You didn't what Anubis? You didn't lie? You're full of bullshit" he started to raise his voice at me.

I pushed him off and ran into the spare room grabbing my bag before running down the stairs to outside in the storm.