The pages were old and withered, stained in what looked like coffee and covered in maybe scorch marks, there were ink blots too, along with watered down, smudged ink marks. It was honestly kind of disgusting.

'How old even is this book!?'

————————————

ADVANCED POTION MAKING

Introduction

The potions within this book are considered advanced in as much as each of them is not only difficult to produce, but also contain the possibility of being disastrous if brewed incorrectly. Students should only attempt potions herein under the supervision of a tutelage of a Potion Master.

Nomenclature in advanced potion making as an art, and not simply as the title of this work, can be quite confusing due to the fact the chemical names often bear no relation to composition. For example, lead sulphide is sometimes referred to as the "black sulphur root" because of its colour and the heat used in its preparation from sulphur. While the authors of this book have taken every measure to ensure use of only the most common nomenclatures, mistakes should be avoided by cross-referencing the symbol chart as much as possible; students may also wish to keep a personal copy in a separate notebook.

It is advisable for students to take careful note of processes as outlined within; Distillation, Coagulation, Dissolution, Filtration, Calcination, Deconstruction & Reconstruction, Infusion, Crushing, Cutting, Boiling, Scalding and Straining. Each of these processes are unique in effect and students should not interchange them without the express guidance of a Potion Master.

A note on alchemy as proto-magic

A common misperception of ancient alchemists is that they were pseudo wizards who attempted to turn lead into gold create love from concoction alone, and believed that the universe was composed of only the four elements of earth, air, fire, and water.

This picture was, obviously, rather unfair. Although some ancient alchemists were indeed crackpots and charlatans, most were well meaning and intelligent wizards. These people in many ways served as innovators, and attempted to explore and investigate the nature of chemical substances and processes.They had to rely on experimentation, traditional know how, rules thumb, and speculative thought in their attempts to uncover the mysteries of the magical universe.

At the same time, it was clear to the alchemists that "something" was generally being conserved in chemical processes, even in the most dramatic changes of physical state and appearance; i.e. that substances contained some "principles" that could be hidden under many outer forms, and revealed by proper manipulation.

—————《 x 》—————

I took a bite of the bread that Tom had given me. Yes, I smuggled it in, it's not that hard.

I'd finished reading to the bottom of the page and had started turning the thick, stained page when someone startled me.

"S/n" Riddle uttered, making me jump.

"Ugh. I was hoping it'd at least be a cute guy that disturbs me" I groaned, taking another bite from the roll.

"I should suffice. What are your classes. Why are you eating in the library?" He asked.

"Because I can" I stuffed the last of my bread roll into my mouth, dusted my hands of the crumbs, and then dug inside my pockets for the timetable.

"Uh..- Here" I passed him the neatly folded piece of paper.

- Here" I passed him the neatly folded piece of paper

He took the paper and slid into a seat beside me. I sighed, yawning.

"What's today" I wondered. Tom sent me a judging glance and muttered out the word "Friday".

"Oh good. I need to go to Gringotts.. and I need to get equipment" I sighed in relief turning back
To the filthy book.

"You really didn't come prepared, did you?" Riddle sighed, taking a book from my stack and leaning back as well.

"I explained my circumstances to you already, Riddle" I murmured, flipping a page.

I glanced at him, does this kid know what he's going to become? He probably has evil intents, but for the time that he'd been planning everything out, it sure did go the way he wanted didn't it?

"You read so slow" He grumbled.

"Yeah you really aren't what I had in mind when I said a 'cute guy'" I mused.

"You wouldn't be my first pick either. I have at least thirty foolish girls that flock me a day" He sneered.

"Alright, dude. Go trip over a knife"

=🌿=