TWENTY-TWO

If life was a fairy tale, Malfoy Manor could have easily become the castle of the story. The grounds stretched on far and wide, the walls around the property marking the territory and not for the first time, Harry realized he hadn't seen but a sliver of this Manor in his time there. He knew he wouldn't be getting the chance to see any more of the Manor today either. He wasn't here for exploring.

The only reason Harry had ventured out of his house this afternoon and to Malfoy Manor was because it was Draco's birthday celebration today and he had been invited. He had put some effort in his appearance as well. He had combed his hair, chosen ironed clothes, had worn a pair of blue jeans and a dark grey shirt he only wore on special occasions. The watch the Weasley family had gifted him when he became an adult was strapped around his wrist, his wand for once left in one of his pockets. He liked to think he would fit in with the crowd of Draco's celebration.

The wooden front doors of the Manor had been left open and so he stepped inside without hesitation. He followed the signs left on the walls—a small arrow showing the location to the celebration, the Malfoy crest right underneath as if anyone would forget where they were—and soon enough he was reaching the room the celebration was set to take place.

It didn't take him long to find Draco. He was standing in the end of the hall, talking with a young woman Harry didn't personally know, although he remembered she had been sorted into Slytherin once. He looked around for any sign of Ron or Bada, knowing Draco and Theodore would most probably be occupied this evening with other people they knew, but they were not around. So he walked ahead, nodded at anyone who greeted him back in return and headed over to Draco. At the sight of him, Draco looked up from the woman he had been conversing with to send him a smile.

"Harry, welcome," he greeted him at once, stole a glance at his companion before he turned to face him once more. "This is Astoria Greengrass. You might remember her from school."

The name did ring a bell in Harry's head, albeit it was a faint one and he couldn't put a face to her name. He smiled at the young woman in front of him all the same.

"It's nice to meet you."

She nodded back at him with a small smile and Harry turned back to Draco. Before he could say a word, though, they were joined by another person.

"There you are," Theodore spoke, clapped a hand on Harry's back as he reached him with a wide smile. "Right on time. Come on, let's raid Draco's table for drinks."

"For as long as you drink sensibly," Draco called out behind them but Theodore only laughed as he stirred Harry away.

"What is he even talking about?" he asked when they were out of earshot, his arm on Harry's back never wavering all the while. "What do you think of the venue so far?"

"It's nothing I wouldn't expect from a Malfoy," Harry admitted as he turned to Theodore. "Don't you have friends to return to? You must have left them when you saw me."

"Don't you worry about that, Blaise can handle himself for a while without me," he waved him off, then pointed an accusing finger right at him. "This is a time of celebration, Harry. You are not allowed to worry and fret."

He chuckled, offered no protest when Theodore gave him a glass of firewhiskey and then poured one for himself. They clang the glass.

"To Draco," Theodore cheekily announced, bringing Harry to chuckle. "And to many more celebrations like this."

"To that."

Theodore laughed for a moment and then he raised his glass to his lips, downed the shot in one go. Harry's eyes bulged but Theodore seemed to pay him no mind, looking over him to the entrance. His lips curled into a smile.