"Hey, I'm sorry about what Ace said to you," Veronica said, taking a seat beside Jaxson at the cafeteria table.

"You don't have to apologize, it's not your fault," Jaxson replied as he shovelled a fork full of rice into his mouth.

"He's such an asshole sometimes." the girl deadpanned.

"Sometimes?" the Adamson boy asked with a small smile.

"Okay, you're right, he's always been an asshole." Veronica laughed.

"Is what he said true though? About you getting bored and ditching me?" Jaxson queried.

"No, not if you don't give me a reason." the girl responded.

"Ace has given you many reasons why haven't you ditched him?" the boy asked.

"I've known him since kindergarten, and he has always been there for me when I needed him, so I guess I can't forget all he's done for me," Veronica explained.

Jaxson nodded. "Aren't you going to eat anything?" he asked, changing the subject.

"No, I'm not hungry, I'll probably eat something after school." the girl shrugged.

"Mhm, should I try out the football team?" Jaxson questioned the girl.

"If you're good at it, I think you should give the team a try, but beware Ace is the captain though," Veronica told him.

"Does he have a say in who gets picked?"

"No, Coach Malachi chooses, I was just giving you a heads up." the girl replied.

"Would you mind coming to watch me play?" Jaxson inquired.

"I can't, I have a tennis match to go to," Veronica said.

"Oh yeah, I forgot, Good luck though." the boy chirped.

"Thanks, it means a lot." the girl commented.

· · ── ·𖥸· ── · ·

"Okay, boys, this year's tryout will be held a few days from today, we've decided that we will restructure the whole team. That means we will need an estimation of forty to fifty players," Coach Malachi announced.

"Why are you here, Adamson?" Ace asked.

"To try out for the team, why else?" Jaxson questioned with a sigh.

"I don't know, Veronica probably put you up to this so you can steal my spot on the team." the blonde boy said with a shrug.

"You are so self-centred Ace like at this point I wonder how you still have friends." the Adamson boy spat.

"Veronica's always saying how I am bullying you but you're always saying shit to provoke me." Ace growled, stepping closer to Jaxson.

"I'm just defending myself." Jaxson retorted, also taking a step forward.

"Sanders, Adamson stop flirting with each other and pay attention!" the coach yelled, causing the rest of the boys to snicker.

"Before we get started, you guys must warm-up, so start by taking two laps around the track." Coach Malachi finished.

When the boys had finished they all met at the bleachers again.

"Okay, guys gear up and meet me on the field." The coach instructed before hopping off the bleachers and making his way to the middle of the field.

"You better watch your back Jaxson." Ace threatened, pushing past Jaxson in the locker room.

"That's why Veronica hates you." Jaxson taunted, causing the boys in the room to snicker.

"What the fuck did you say?" the Sanders boys questioned turning to face Jaxson.

"Have your fucking ears stopped working? I said that's why Veronica hates you." the brown-haired boy repeated his tone more vicious this time.

Before anyone could react Ace had shoved him to the floor and had landed a punch into his face.

He was about to hit Jaxson again when the shrill ringing of his phone cut through the air.

The boy glared down at Jaxson as he took the phone out of the pocket of his sweatpants.

"Hello," Ace said into the phone.

He was silent for a moment before the color drained from his face.

"What? Is she okay?" the boy asked frantically.

"Okay, I'll be there as soon as possible." Ace stated, hanging up the phone.

"Somebody tell coach I had an emergency, something happened to Veronica at the tennis game and I have to leave." the blonde boy said a panicked look resting on his features.

"What happened to Veronica?" Jaxson asked, sounding just as worried.

"She fainted," the boy responded before rushing out of the room.

· · ── ·𖥸· ── · ·
𝗼𝗼𝗼. ⁞ 𝐍𝐈𝐘𝐀𝐇 𝐖𝐑𝐈𝐓𝐄𝐒!

I have mixed feelings about this chapter, what do you think of the characters. Let me know. <3