six

A/N I am aware this chapter may seen anti-climatic to some of you, but I tried writing a more dramatic version and it just was too out of character for the situation. There is a time jump coming up. This is also the last of my completed chapters so expect longer delays between updates going forward.

The next morning, the sun is shining over Branford courtyard as Paris and Rory line up with all the G's, in their black gowns ready to go.

"So have you thought about what you're going to say?" Paris starts, turning to look at Rory while lined up against the wall.

"What? To Logan?" Rory looks puzzledly at Paris, this is not what she was expecting from Paris of all people. She could see Logan in his suit, across the courtyard, standing talking with a group of guys he probably hadn't seen since his own graduation a year earlier.

"When he hands you the diploma. I can't decide between 'thank you' and 'thank you so much.' "

There's the Paris I know and love, thought she'd gone soft on me for a second. "Oh, no I hadn't"

"It's a significant moment, and I want to do it right. If I say just plain "thank you," it sounds kind of casual, like he's handing me a slice of pizza. But "thank you so much" sounds weird, like I'm acknowledging applause after singing a love ballad."

Rory smiles that she can always rely on Paris to be consistent "I think I'm just gonna do a polite smile and a "thank you." Okay. This is it."

"Yeah. We've been drafting off each other since high school, and now it's each woman for herself. Who knows when we'll see each other again, right?" Paris says almost dejectedly.

Rory smirks "Paris I haven't been able to shake you off all these years. We're gonna be friends for a very long time."

"You're gonna do such great things with your life, Rory."

Paris surprises Rory with a heartfelt hug.

"Oh! Wow. Okay."

"Okay, G's, you're on the move!" Someone shouts at the group.

"Unto the breach." Paris states resignedly.

"You ready to be parents of a Yale graduate?" Lorelai says looking at her ex husband.

"I already got the bumper sticker picked out."

"Just so you know, I read in the New York Times that people are getting married younger and younger these days." Emily starts.

"Well the good news is, if it was in the New York Times, Rory saw it and filed it away." Lorelai states rolling her eyes at her mothers obvious antics.

Announcer: "Paris Eustace Geller."

"Oh, Paris!" says Lorelai.

Emily starts again determinedly, "I'm just saying you have pull. Use it. That's what parenting is."

"Don't know if her family is here, I'm gonna take a picture for Rory." Lorelai continues as though the Chanel suit next to her hadn't spoke at all.

"She looks up to you, and when a child looks up to you and has a difficult decision to make, you tell her what to do."

"That's not how I do it." Lorelai says calmly finally acknowledging her mother.

"So you're just content..."

"Emily, please. Rory is next. Lorelai, I will note the time. I will take the photo. You just sit there and enjoy your daughter's graduation from Yale. This is as much your moment as Rory's. Enjoy it." Richard interjects before they miss the moment they are all there for.

Announcer: "Lorelai Leigh Gilmore."

They all watch as Rory walks gracefully across the stage to receive her diploma.

"Yay, Rory!" Lorelai yells out as she stands and claps overcome with emotion, Rory looks over to see Lorelai and Chris standing and clapping and sticks her tongue out at her parents, which they reciprocate much to Emily's chagrin.

"Hey. Congratulations." says Logan, walking up to her after the ceremony. He looked handsome in his suit with his always messed to perfection hair, that used to be her weakness.

"Thanks."

"Yeah you did great - no tripping, no dropping the diploma." he says smirking at her.

"No, nothing like that."

"I remember when I graduated. I was a little tipsy - that's a big surprise, huh? - And I did trip, and I reached out and grabbed the robe of Marcia Hadley, who was so not the person to grab." Logan rambles on almost nervously which is unlike him.

"Logan... I'm sorry... I can't." Rory starts. deciding to put him out of his misery.

"Ace-"

"No, Logan let me get this out. I love you. You know how much I love you. I love the idea of being married to you... but not now and not like this." Rory says soberly, it was true, two weeks ago she would have been overjoyed by the idea of marriage to one Logan Elias Huntzberger but that was then.

"Ace, please think about this, think how great it would be. Rory, you know we are great together." he says sincerely.

"Logan, don't do this, not here, not today."

"Why not? I think I deserve an explanation, after all I changed my entire life around for you Rory!" Logan says indignantly.

"Why not? Because we are surrounded by people in the courtyard of Yale Logan, and it's my graduation day, MY DAY! I've worked towards this for four years and I'd like to remember it for that. And really? You changed everything for me?" she says fiercely. Rory motions for Logan to come closer, "One word Logan, Vegas." she whispers into his ear, and watches him instantly pale.

"H-h-how, I mean, what about it? I don't know what you are talking about."

He is now the one avoiding eye contact. Rory can tell he is mentally trying to work out what she knows so he doesn't reveal more, plausible deniability had always been Logan's M.O.

"How about you cut the playing dumb crap and we just go our seperate ways today. No scene required? We both know it will be better in the long run, deep down you have to know that Logan. We wouldn't make each other happy long term Logan."

"But Ace-"

"No Logan, Thank you for making me step out of my comfort zone, and thanks for the memories," she says, handing him back the blue velvet box.

Rory turns and walks towards her family before he can stop her, letting him watch her walk away one last time. She knows he won't chase her in front of her grandparents, it would create too much scandal for Daddy Mitchum dearest, and explaining this would be enough for him to contend with. Although Mitchum and Shira had never really taken to Rory, Miss "not good enough for a Huntzberger" Gilmore, so once they get over the apparent slight of her rejection, they will be happy. Heck, Shira will probably have a batch of prospective trophy wives over for supper within the week. I would have enjoyed humiliating him, she thinks, but Francine was right, that small moment of satisfaction wouldn't be worth dealing with the ramifications it would bring about.