40

"Still wanna go to dinner?"

"Wha- what are you doing here?"

"I thought I would come to see you."

George was speechless. It finally clicked in his head that his boyfriend was standing right in front of him. George ran up to Clay and jumped on him.

"Hi, baby." Clay chuckles with George in his arms.

"I can't believe you're here," George mumbles into his boyfriend's neck.

"Me neither. It was a long journey."

"God, I missed you so much."

"I missed you, too. I couldn't go much longer without seeing you." Clay carefully set George down.

"You look really handsome." George complimented. "I feel underdressed now."

Clay was wearing black dress pants being held up by a black belt. He had a white button-up on, the material straining at his muscles. He had a bow tie at the top. His shoes were classic black dress shoes.

"No, you look beautiful, as always." George blushed.

"I seriously can't believe you're here." George hugs Clay again.

Clay looks down and meets eyes with George.

"Can I kiss you?"

"You don't have to ask, silly."

Clay leaned down, connecting his lips with George's. It had been too long. Way too long without any physical touch from each other. The kiss wasn't short, that was for sure. It lasted a long time, neither of them wanting to pull away.

They started running out of air, so they did eventually have to pull apart. There were crazy wide smiles on their faces, red tints to their cheeks.

"God, I've missed doing that," Clay speaks lowly.

Instead of saying anything back, George gets on his tip-toes and plants another loving kiss on Clay's lips.

"Let's get going. I'm sure the Uber is waiting."

They walk out of the door hand-in-hand. Clay checks his Uber app with his free hand, seeing what car he needs to look for. He spots it and leads George to it, both of them getting in.

Not long after they got in, the driver pulls up to a restaurant. Clay really had no clue what to expect, it was what George's parents recommended. Clay thanks the driver and leads them inside, stopping at the podium.

"Hi, reservation for Clay, please."

"Clay... Alright. Can I see your ID please?" Clay pulls his ID out of his wallet and shows the host. "You can follow me."

They do just that. The host sits them at a table for two. Clay pulls a chair out for George to sit, then sits in his own chair.

"Your waiter will be with you shortly."

"Thank you."

They only had to wait for a few minutes for a waiter to come to their table.

"Good evening. I'm Axel and I'll be your waiter for the night. Can I get you started with drinks?"

"Can we have a bottle of red wine, please?" Clay asks. The host made a note that Clay was over the age of 21 when he showed his ID.

"Of course. I'll be back with that."

"There are so many options, I don't know what to get. I kind of want to get the fettuccine alfredo, but that's kind of basic."

"Get whatever you want, baby. We're here to catch up and have a good time."

"I'll probably get that then. What are you getting?"

"I think I'm just gonna go with the classic spaghetti and meatballs."

"Ou, yummy."

"Alright, here is your wine. Are you two ready to order?" The waiter sets the bottle and a corkscrew on the table.

"Yes, we are."

"Ok. What can I get for you?"

"I will have the spaghetti and meatballs, please."

"Spaghetti and meatballs... And for you?" He turns to look at George.

"The fettuccine alfredo, please."

"And will that be chicken or shrimp?"

"Chicken, sorry."

"No need to apologize. I'll get that in." Axel smiles.

"Thank you," Clay says before he can walk away.

Clay opens the wine and pours some in each of their glasses.

"So fancy." George jokes.

They both pick up their glasses.

"Cheers to your grandma," Clay says.

"Cheers to my grandma," George repeats. They clink their glasses and take a sip.

"I've missed you so much, George. It was really stressful not knowing if you were doing ok."

"I know. It was hard not being able to talk to you."

"I'm sorry for that. Finals were really difficult this year."

"I know they were. We talked as much as we could. But you're here now, so that's all that matters."

"That's all that matters."

"I'm still baffled how you got here without me knowing."

"I'm just sneaky like that."

"I'm sure." They both laugh.

The two of them talked. They talked while they waited for their food, they talked while they were eating their food, not with food in their mouths, of course, and they talked when they finished their food. It was nice to catch up and talk in person together.

"So, I've been thinking recently."

"About what?" George asks.

"Us, everything. Being away from you for so long made me realize how much it hurts when you aren't with me. It was hard to go to my dorm and not be able to call you. I was so stressed and you weren't there."

"I'm sorry."

"Baby, don't apologize. It's not your fault that your grandma got sick. When I tell you that I was thinking about us, I really meant it. I've been thinking about our future and how I want to be with you forever."

George just stared at Clay.

"Seeing how sudden your grandma got sick made me realize that anything can happen at any time. I don't want to waste any more time. So,"

Clay stood up and walked over to George. He got down on one knee and pulled out a small box. He opened it revealing a ring.

"I love you so much, George. More than words can describe. Will you marry me?"

George sat there looking at Clay. He had tears in his eyes and his hands over his mouth. They've talked about getting married in the past, but he didn't think it would happen so soon.

"Yes. Oh my God, yes."

Both of them stood up. Clay carefully slipped the ring onto George's finger. It fit perfectly. As soon as they were together, Clay pulled George into a kiss. They heard cheers and clapping around them, but they were only focused on each other.

"I love you," George whispers.

"I love you." Clay reciprocated.

a/n~ thank you all for coming on this journey with me! this story has officially come to an end.